R or RZ.. (hope not a stupid question)

houstonbussa

Registered
As I troll the net for parts and such, I always see R and RZ and model types. What's the difference in the different nomenclature? How do you tell?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Im going to keep an eye on this thread, Never heard of RZ, maybe I will learn something

On CheapCycleParts.com. Look at picture attached below. Not the first time I've seen it either.

rz.jpg

According to that history, only the 2006 was called and RZ for the LE.. But I see black frames on 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, & 2008. So not always the LE but always the black frame? (what I get from google and that history report)

RZ = Limited Edition. All 2007 models are RZ like mine. In 2007 they released 3 LE models since it was the last release for Gen 1. Check the sticker on your frame to tell if you have an R or RZ.

Are you sure you have a 2007 model?

More than positive.. Went through this when I first joined the site and had to check vin's and history etc.. Late model (4th quarter) build. Thus an 06 that's came with an 07 VIN or is that an 07 with left over 06 skins...

I always thoght the Z referred to the LE models

Which is kind of why I asked the question.. If I listen to the write up, only the 06 had an RZ model which happened to be the LE. If I listen to one site it refers to only the ones that had black frames.. But for the most part that was only LE's of each of those years. But noticed I said for the most part. Because all 07's were "LE's" but they didn't make an LE in 07... Or so I've been told when I first got my bike and posted on here. And how about the 08. All the frames look black in the history write up.. Or does it only apply to GenI?

So that makes the other site wrong and blows the whole black frame out of the water theory. So as told, I've googled it.. And the theories, but every time there's a constant, something screws that up. I'm really in to Nissan 300zx's.. And you can tell everything by the vin.. Maybe the same is true here.. Anyone that much in to our bikes to have that knowledge or are we all just guessing here?

2003 only had the R. 2002 had rk2 and the rzk2. Ok.. K2? 2000 was only the RY... 99 had the RX.. Can't reference the year in the vin because 2000 would have been a 0 and 99 a Z.

But that's going by the Bike Bandit site listed above.

So that makes the other site wrong and blows the whole black frame out of the water theory. So as told, I've googled it.. And the theories, but every time there's a constant, something screws that up. I'm really in to Nissan 300zx's.. And you can tell everything by the vin.. Maybe the same is true here.. Anyone that much in to our bikes to have that knowledge or are we all just guessing here?

We've tried that too:whistle:
If i recall correctly a board member who is also a cop ran some VIN's and they weren't "decodable" as with a 300Zx, or as seen on tv classic car auctions.
Again, if memeory serves, hopefully another member that remembers that thread can chim in

This is along the same lines
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/103387-06-le-owners-only.html

CTA_BUSA_LE had this to say about it

"I've checked my VIN# against software we have at the office that tells all of this. My busa VIN was the first one I've ever ran on this program that it did not have that information on."

Last edited:
Perhaps just perhaps:whistle: leftover 06 LE frames were outfitted with awesome 07 BNP (Bold New Plastics) and sold as 07 models! I mean it was the last production year of the Gen1, why spend a lot of money building all new frames? I know the label on my frame says GSX1300RZ.:beerchug:

Back