Quick electronics ques...

BUSA_CHeMiST

Donating Member
Registered
Ok, I've had my Sirius Sat radio plugged into my wiring harness supplied by smithabusa for a while and had no problems.

Well, i plugged in a charger for a FM transmitter into the second of 2 plugs on my wiring harness. Everything was goin good...bout 30 min into my ride today i look down and my sat radio is turned off and i have NO GAUGE PANEL!

Pulled open the fuse box and i blew the 15amp fuse for the turn signals. Figured that was the problem.

My question, i know its USUALLY a no-no putting in a larger amped fuse, but does anyone here run anything bigger than the stock 15amp in that slot?? Anyone ever had a problem with too many accessories plugged into that euro plug blowin the fuse??

Thanks ya'll!! Had to cut the ride short today
banghead.gif
firedevil.gif

I wouldn't go any higher than 5 amps over the stock fuse.
+1

any higher and depending on the amount of current your drawing will run the risk of frying your gauge cluster, the wiring or both. You might want to wire up another fuse and power source from the box before trying to run that much equipment again.

will try to find an alternative power source first. Hate to have to run it all the way back to the battery for just this one thing, but i might not have a choice.

Anyone else gone up 5 amps on the fuse like BusaWhipped suggested? the way it blew, i feel like anything above a 15 might hold it. Wont try anything above the 20 though.

I installed an 8 gang aux. fuse block, and run all my acc. off of it. ie. air horn, air shifter, aux. cig. lighter, HID.

Check all added wiring for shorts..... 12V @ 15A is 180 Watts, unless your breaking that amount of power with your accessories check for shorts.

I haven't done mine yet, but I got a weather resistant fuse block that is practically prewired from painless wiring. It comes with a relay that you can connect to your euro plug to have it turn on and off with keyed power on half of it and have always on power on the other side.

70207.jpg

Back