Question for the computer savy...

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
A friend of mine had been running Windows 98 ME.  He tried installing a friend's XP Pro OS and as expected it asked for the 25 digit code...he entered it, but no go...not surprised as it may have been registered, but the case for the XP install disc had never been broken/used (registered by manufacturer maybe?).

Anyway, XP Pro is running and he also installed MS Office he got w/ his 98 ME, the 'puter states he has 30 days to register...what will happen after 30 days (lock up?)?  Windows update will not let him get updates for XP until it is registered as well.

Beyond telling him to go buy XP for almost $200 (mother has cancer, has two kids of his own, etc.) will XP continue to run or will he have to reload his old 98 ME?

Just trying to help a friend.
wink.gif

if he has an older computer, xp will suck it dry and make it crash.

Hey, 300, yeah he entered it correctly...asks to register each time he starts it up and always says 30 days....does that mean it is ALWAYS 30 days out but he just won't be able to get updates?

Yes that particular key could have been used previously on another machine... many emplyers and retailers/distributors do this to hand the customer a working product.
If he acquired the disc legitimately, and at least knows the original source of the disc...then he should be able to call the MS help desk and explain that the OS is now on a new machine and the other is no longer functioning. You are allowed to transfer the OS to another unit just so long as there is one PC per license (that's the theory, anyways)

here's a link that might help your friend.
XP Product Activation

here's a snippet from an associated link....to answer the other part of you question:
Application products will go into reduced functionality mode if the user does not activate before the end of the grace period, which is the 50th launch for Office XP and its component applications and 10th launch for Visio 2002. The Office 2003 System allows 50 launches before the product will go into reduced functionality mode. In this mode, users will not be able to save changes to documents or create new documents, and additional functionality may be reduced. Existing files are not altered and can be edited or saved with an activated installation of Office XP, Visio 2002, or a product from the Office 2003 System. Users may regain full functionality of the product at any time by activating.[/Quote]

this link might be better for him...

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx

UPDATE:
Not sure why, but all of a sudden it prompted us to install 60 Windows critical and security updates...which we did. We've also installed all the drivers for peripheral equipment as well (printers, modem, ethernet card, etc.).

There are two partitions: ME installed on C:(original 10 GB hard drive) and XP installed on G:(two 10 GB hard drives). Also upgraded the RAm to 512, processor is onlt 800 MHz however, still not bad.

He just renewed his Norton Antivirus(NAV) 2 months ago for ME but not XP so has no NAV as of now. Should he be able to sall Symantec (NAV) to download install the XP version for free?

Of course this will all be moot if in 30 days the XP OS locks up or is not accessable.
sad.gif

Back