Question for painters.

shadetree57

Registered
My brotherinlaw wants me to paint his VTX1300 so I sayed I would. I told him to pick a color and let me know. Of course he picked Candy Apple Red. I've never actually done a candy color so I would like to know whats involved in doing this. I think there are several steps to go through but I can't remember. I screwed up when pricing the job because I never dreamed of him wanting a candy color. I should have known because he be kinda weard. Anyway, all help will be greatly appreciated Thanks.

Why not go to a paint and body shop locally that does classic or hot rod cars. If anyone, they would know the in's and out's :beerchug:

Why not go to a paint and body shop locally that does classic or hot rod cars. If anyone, they would know the in's and out's :beerchug:
+1 Candy colors are a tough area to learn... my first drag boat had a dozen different candies and shades done by a guy named Crash (Phx AZ)

He spent weeks doing this job and he was a pro... most of the work is in the prep anyway and you could get that all done for the painter..

if you decide to tackle this, do post your experience :)

First is the normal prep that you would do for any paint job. ( most important) Second is the base color( need to decided gold or silver and size of flake). Then spray base color then candy then clear. Three step process.

when putting the candy on, dont go putting it on wet.. very important to keep the same pattern, and the gun the same distance.. your safest bet would be fogging it on.. better chance on getting that coverage even... but better off talking to someone who shoots these types of paint.. it's a 3 stage paint... you can get candy apple red in single stage.. not quite the same effect, but the amount of time and money spent, might be the way to go, instead of making a very costly mistake.

First is the normal prep that you would do for any paint job. ( most important) Second is the base color( need to decided gold or silver and size of flake). Then spray base color then candy then clear. Three step process.
the trick , how many layers and can you lay them evenly.... nothing worse that blotchy candy color...

74madvette is right. You want even coats, light coats and 75% overlap when going back and forth. Never get it too wet take your time. Put on three to five layers of clear when you are done for that deep look he is looking for.

Back