question about coolant

Nsauble

Registered
My busa seems like it eats coolant for dinner. I have refilled it to the top line 4 times this summer and it never seems to fail that after a week or two its right below the bottom line agian. Is this a big deal or should I be worried??? Runs fine has plenty of power, doesn't get hot.

Your filling the over flow bottle? Have you done any work to the cooling system that would have allowed air into the system? If so there may just be air pockets trapped and freeing themselves the more you ride.

Yeah I was filling the over flow bottle. I saw it was below the line so i filled it. Then I just keep filling evertime I saw it below. I don't have any leaks and I haven't changed the coolant or anything yet.

does it ever start hard? (turn over hard I mean)
wet residue in pipes or smell like sweet exhaust?

just how much coolant have you added? (ounces, cups?)

Assuming you have no drips under bike ever..

Runs fine, no hard starts, no drips, runs cool. I basically have nothing to complain about just was wondering what the deal was with the coolant seeming like its disappearing, well it does.

if you are only adding an ounce or two to top off tank, leave it be for a bit. See if it stops going down. (technically, the tank could be dry and the motor full of coolant, so don't get too excited to see it below the "full" mark or even the "low" mark.

Could very well be a crack or small leak in the plastic tank that only shows up when the coolant is hot (the level goes up and down as the engine warms and cools) See if it finds a happy level and stays there

very true. I will try that and see how it goes and then if all else fails pull the bottle and find the hole.

Also the level will change depending on the temp of the bike, ie: hot will tend to look fuller while cold will look low.

Back