Power commander and dyno

Fat Ninja

Registered
I have a two brothers exhaust on my 06'. I just looked and I dont have a power commander under either seat. Luckily I was able to get someone at a local speed shop who was by their phone and messaged me back right away. I just made my appointment to get a power commander installed and have it dyno tuned. Cant wait to report back my results!

PCs are good but most people are flashing now and some don't use a PC along with the flash. Personally, I'd look at your tuning options. A local tuner might do a great job custom dyno tuning but you could just send your ECU in to a respected tuner and they'll flash it for you probably for less than the cost of a PC5 and custom tune. I'm sure there's a good tuner on this site. I have the old school tuning electronics on my bike but if I were statrting all over I'd do it the modern way which is flashing.

I doubt the full system will hurt your engine without a tune especially if you keep the revs to a reasonable limit. I wouldn't be in any great big hurry. If that's not a full system, I'd say there's a lot less reason to rush.

Find out what kind of stock fueling the Gen1 has. If it's rich, you'll be fine. Sounds like the bike's run a long time without a tune. A few weeks more isn't going to hurt anything if you decide you would prefer a flash. I would love to see the before and after of a custom tune though.

PCs are good but most people are flashing now and some don't use a PC along with the flash. Personally, I'd look at your tuning options. A local tuner might do a great job custom dyno tuning but you could just send your ECU in to a respected tuner and they'll flash it for you probably for less than the cost of a PC5 and custom tune. I'm sure there's a good tuner on this site. I have the old school tuning electronics on my bike but if I were statrting all over I'd do it the modern way which is flashing.

I doubt the full system will hurt your engine without a tune especially if you keep the revs to a reasonable limit. I wouldn't be in any great big hurry. If that's not a full system, I'd say there's a lot less reason to rush.

Find out what kind of stock fueling the Gen1 has. If it's rich, you'll be fine. Sounds like the bike's run a long time without a tune. A few weeks more isn't going to hurt anything if you decide you would prefer a flash. I would love to see the before and after of a custom tune though.
+1

flashing a generic tune is different than a custom map
PC or ECU flash

any tuner worth their salt will reflash a bike ECU to make SURE it is a OEM map before power commander tuning
so they can tune with PC or reflash

More work to tune with ECU flash than PC PC and dynojet dynos can interact and tuning can be done faster

I agree with 202mphbusa that a dyno tune should be better than a flash. They both change stock fueling to accommodate air intake but a flash tune was made from some other bike on some other day with similar mods but not necessarily the same. If you compare a DJ map to a flash, the flash map has at least twice as many cells (like the stock map has) so the fuel corrections are made in finer increments...although a PC5 will average out the values between cells to achieve a similar effect. I've been told the difference in fueling requirements from one busa to the next with the sam mods are negligible unless you are racing. I had a map from a reputable tuner for an Akrapovich full system in my other bike. I refined it for my Tsukigi exhaust using Autotune and the changes in the cells seemed pretty significant to me. I didn't notice any big change in performance though. This makes me inclined to believe that a generic map is just fine for the average sport/street rider. One way that my custom tune was better was that I was able to go WOT from 2000 rpm in 6th gear and the engine ran smooth even below 3000 rpm. That tells me a custom tune can be better in some ways. For the riding I do, a generic map has been just fine and I tried three of them in the bike mentioned before using Autotune. They all felt more or less the same. For most of us, it's probably a case of being sure the fueling is safe for the engine, not so much a few hp at peak rpm we can't notice.

The fact your tuner is still tuning by DJ instead of flashing gives me pause. He could be the greatest tuner in the world but I don't know of any tuners in the past 8 years who prefer a Power Commander over a flash...unless they flash and use a PC for fueling only which some were doing a few years back. Just saying, if this guy is only using DJ equipment, I'd suspect he's old school and low budget. You can make the decision from there. Old school and low budget doesn't mean, "not good." ...just for $300 you can get a flash from a highly reputable tuner who is using the latest methods. ...and I'm telling you, you probably won't know the difference in fueling anyway if you're honest with yourself. I can't tell.

A custom dyno tune should also adress timing. I think you'll actually notice a difference with the timing restrictions removed. I've heard this is tricky with a busa. I wouldn't let anyone without Hayabus specifc knowledge experiment with timing on my bike.

Also, there's flies. Tuning by PC won't adress flies response.

Then you have the TSL and radiator fan and whatever else a flash does that a Power Commander doesn't.

If I didn't already have a Bazzaz and enjoy messing with electronics, I'd get a flash.

Can a power commander unlock the speed limiter, disable tip over sensor and such?
Check with DJ for busa specific info but on most bikes, If you couple up your PC5 with an Ignition Module, you can disable the TSL as well as enable a two-step launch feature, a pit speed feature and most importantly, adjust timing. I don't know where to find a good PC5 map for timing these days (nobody uses them) but you definitely don't want to guess on adjusting timing unless you know what you're doing and how to do it on a busa. You can also use a PC5 to enable a quickshiter feature.

You can also do many of the things mentioned using an ECU Editor box from Boost by Smith who is a site sponsor @smithabusa . ..you just have to figure out how to use the software with your laptop. I'm pretty sure you still need a fuel module if you use ECU Editor. I have yet to mess around with my ECU Editor box for my Gen2. I imagine ECU Editor works with a Gen1 but ask to be sure.

Check with DJ for busa specific info but on most bikes, If you couple up your PC5 with an Ignition Module, you can disable the TSL
One possible correction:

You definitely can increase the rev limit to whatever you want with a PC5 and Ignition Module (can also do that with a flash), I don't know for certain if you can remove the TSL with a PC5 but I think with Suzuki, you can. You'd have to check an ad for the PC5 and possibly a DJ tech...unless someone here knows. It's been a long time since I played with my DJ system and it was not on a Suzuki. I actually never got to using the Ignition Module on that bike before I crashed it butI'm pretty familiar with what you can do with a PC5 and Autotune. :confused:

I bought a Bazzaz Z-Fi for my busa because it addresses all 8 injectors. I believe a PC5 is now available for 8 injectors but check on that if you go that rout. For some reason the consensus was that it's not necessary to adjust fueling for all 8 injectors but if you have them, why wouldn't you want to optimize all of them?

Back