popping sound when accelerating from dead stop

busaboyk7

Registered
Anyone ever hear a "popping" sound when accelerating from a dead stop....like from a stop sign/light? Not launching...i mean just normal, gradual acceleration. Chain adjusters/axle nut are tight, driveline from output shaft to rear sprocket seems to be ok. I think it is in the tranny. I also have probs with downshifting to first when decelerating to a stop. Not always easy to get into 1st. I rode an 05 Busa a couple weeks ago, and his tranny felt butter smooth compared to mine.......and he is running Mobile full synthetic, I am running a synthetic blend (actevo). I do have a habit of doin mad max's from time to time, but i was under the impression that the transmission in the busa is basically bullet proof. ??

sounds like it's coming from the tranny (under me). I think I'm going to change the oil and send a sample in for analysis.....the bike only has 5000miles on it.

Make sure your sprockets are not out of alignment. If they are, you can see it wearing on one side or the other of the rear sprocket.

--Wag--

Sounds like chain and sprocket out of align to me. How is the slack on chain?

I have heard it before. I never could figure out where it came from. It just stopped doing it one day.

mine did this almost all the time... almost every time i would stop, i would hear a klunck noise as soon as i would leave a red light or stop sign. I never could figure out what it was. It sounded like it was coming from the drive train or possible the steering head. I put over 11000 miles on my busa before i sold it and never figured it out.

thanks for all the input, I will double check chain and sprockets.When I adjust it, I always use a ruler w/ 32nd inch increnents on it, then check the tracking afterwards as well. Those "alignment" marks on the swingarm don't seem too precise to me.....

Fate, the slack in the chain is within spec. This does not sound or feel like the chain...it almost feels/sounds like a motor mount that is not tight or something. I guess that would make since when pulling off from a dead stop after coming to a stop....hmmmm. I put frame slider on it a few weeks ago.....but it was doing it before then, I tightened bolts to spec. I will go and check torque for all motor mount bolts. Didn't really think about that until I was mingling w/ you guys on the org. Thanks....will update later.

Not talking about the slack, talking about the sprocket alignment. If the front sprocket is slightly to the side of the rear, then your chain will not track in a straight line and damage will ensue.

Let us know what you find out.

:D

--Wag--

Back