Pocketbike fatality

Musta been one heck of a pocketbike if they were two up. Mine is considered a midbike, which is actually bigger than a pocketbike. No way would you get two people on it, even if they were kids.

sad.gif

sad but the reason why crap like this happens is because people don't regulate it. They are track use, or closed parking lot use bikes ONLY. NO street use, NO bike path use......

people just never learn.... and they never wear gear because they think that these things are so small you can't get hurt. Well even the crappy chinese ones go about 30 mph. WWJD's and my bikes go about 40 mph stock and with a simple gear change can even edge out 50+mph with just over 4 hp. Gotta be careful on these tiny things
tounge.gif

Wow!!
sad.gif
On christmas with family around. My prayers to the family and friends as well as I hope the 11 year old does make a full recovery.
sad.gif

sad.gif

So....what about the idiot whose pickup was blocking the path?
Probably waiting for that oncoming car to pass so he could turn or something. Doesn't matter...he got rear ended....automatic pass.[/QUOTE]
helmet or not, youth or not, the driver of the pickup SHOULD GET 30 YEARS + in prison. Now, his actions of parking in a path that is well known to be traveled by runners, bicyclist, etc... DID CAUSE CONTACT with the bike and IS A DIRECT CONTRIBUTOR TO THE ACCIDENT THAT CAUSED THE death and injuries of two youths.

I think it's only fair since they gave Williams that 30 years for speeding that "caused" the trooper's tire to blow out resulting in the Trooper's death. And there wasn't even contact between the 2 vehicles in that case.

Now that I think about it, the driver of this pickup should get the death penalty.

Funny how the article didn't make mention of what happened to the driver of the pick-up. I'm starting to think that Florida is a extremely biker unfriendly state... Maybe to the point of discrimination.

So....what about the idiot whose pickup was blocking the path?
Probably waiting for that oncoming car to pass so he could turn or something. Doesn't matter...he got rear ended....automatic pass.
helmet or not, youth or not, the driver of the pickup SHOULD GET 30 YEARS + in prison.  Now, his actions of parking in a path that is well known to be traveled by runners, bicyclist, etc... DID CAUSE CONTACT with the bike and IS A DIRECT CONTRIBUTOR TO THE ACCIDENT THAT CAUSED THE death and injuries of two youths.

I think it's only fair since they gave Williams that 30 years for speeding that "caused" the trooper's tire to blow out resulting in the Trooper's death.  And there wasn't even contact between the 2 vehicles in that case.

Now that I think about it, the driver of this pickup should get the death penalty.

Funny how the article didn't make mention of what happened to the driver of the pick-up.  I'm starting to think that Florida is a extremely biker unfriendly state... Maybe to the point of discrimination.[/QUOTE]
Your view on this is harsh and very narrow minded. The owner of the truck should get 30 years and, after you think about it, he should get the death penalty?

Do you know all the facts? I know I don't. How can you sentence the truck owner without knowing all the facts.

Facts:
1. Object stopped on path
2. Kids on bike not wearing helmets
3. Kid in control (riding) apparently not paying attention, running into said object on path, causing his death and injury to passenger.
4. Very sad ordeal for all involved.

I take it since you are a member of this forum that you have a Busa, or at least a bike. While driving down the road you notice a car stopped in your lane... do you,

1. Slow down or stop to avoid car
2. If safe, move to another lane to avoid car
3. Run into car because it shouldn't be stopped in the lane you're riding in... causing injury or death?

I hope you're really not the vigilante you make yourself out to be.

<!--EDIT|EastCoast
Reason for Edit: None given...|1135732693 -->

Your view on this is harsh and very narrow minded. The owner of the truck should get 30 years and, after you think about it, he should get the death penalty?
I could be wrong, but I think eynlai was being sarcastic.

Funny how the article didn't make mention of what happened to the driver of the pick-up.  I'm starting to think that Florida is a extremely biker unfriendly state... Maybe to the point of discrimination.[/QUOTE]

Remind me to stay out of Florida from now-on.  
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|TheAtomicAss
Reason for Edit: None given...|1135740901 -->

that's a damn shame! they should have some restrictions and mandate helmet laws.
mad.gif

Do you know all the facts? I know I don't. How can you sentence the truck owner without knowing all the facts.

Facts:
1. Object stopped on path
2. Kids on bike not wearing helmets
3. Kid in control (riding) apparently not paying attention, running into said object on path, causing his death and injury to passenger.
4. Very sad ordeal for all involved.

I take it since you are a member of this forum that you have a Busa, or at least a bike. While driving down the road you notice a car stopped in your lane... do you,

1. Slow down or stop to avoid car
2. If safe, move to another lane to avoid car
3. Run into car because it shouldn't be stopped in the lane you're riding in... causing injury or death?

I hope you're really not the vigilante you make yourself out to be.
Harsh it maybe, but isn't it harsh that that biker, Donald Williams got 30 years for speeding on the wrong day, and that trooper's, Haywood, tire blew out while STARTING to pursue?

It just seems ironic to me that this tragedy happened in the same state that convicted Donald Williams. So wouldn't you say that out of fairness, this pickup truck driver should get 30 years +? Sure we don't know all the facts, the pick-up could've had a flat and the driver couldn't help it. But it made no mention of it in the article.

If FAIRNESS was to have any part in this, then the pick-up truck driver should get a ticket for illegally parking, and Donald Williams should get a speeding TICKET + his license suspended for reckless riding at most.

Since Williams got 30 years for not EVEN being close to making contact with the trooper's car, you don't think it's fair that this pick-up trucker driver should get AT LEAST 30 years since his actions DID contribute to the contact that killed one kid and severely injured another?

Think about that... I've seen some arguements saying that IF Williams didn't race that Porche, THEN Haywood, the trooper, wouldn't have to start to pursue and blow out his tires causing his death. So on that same token: IF the pick-up truck driver DIDN'T ILLEGALLY PARK in a path well known to be traveled by bicyclist and runners, then the kids WOULD NOT HAVE ran into the ILLEGALLY PARK pick-up. The key fact that has be acknowledged is that the ILLEGALLY PARKED pick-up likely was NOT ANTICIPATED by the kid riding the mini-bike.

In your test to me, yes, I do ride a Busa, but you didn't give me enough surrounding scenarios. Of coarse I would take 1 or 2, but how I execute those options depends on the road I'm traveling on. IF ANYONE was on the freeway, would you expect a stopped vehicle if there was no traffic congestion? Probably not. I don't know about Florida, but in California there is a "reasonable expectation" clause to the traffic law. So it goes something like a driver can expect sudden stopped vehicles in a parking lot, even street (even though illegaly), but on a open road where there are no stopping allowed (such as the freeway) the driver shouldn't be held accountable for that same expectation. That usually keeps the insurance scammers from suddenly stopping on the freeway in lane just to get rear ended to milk the insurance companies.

Bottom line is, if the pick-up truck driver gets nothing more than a parking ticket in this tragedy, while Donald Williams gets 30 years in the same state, I believe my opinion of Florida being a biker discriminating state is valid.

You may think it's silly that I can use the same word, discriminating, in the same sense as for those that were/are mistreated simply based on the color of their skin, religion, or sexual orientation. But I don't believe I'm that far off. As bikers (busa, sportbike, cruisers, even mini-bikes), we ARE DIFFERENT from those in cages. Just like Christians or Buddists are defined by their common religious beliefs, just like anyone of their respective ethnicity are defined and grouped by their ancestary, and just like people of uncommon sexual perference are different from the mainstream by their sexual perference or orientation.

Being bikers (regardless of whatever we ride, as long as it's 2 wheels) I felt, read, and even had close experience of discrimination based on the fact that I'm on a bike. So why shouldn't we be afforded and granted the same protection against discrimination (and in some extreme cases... Harm) that are granted to those based on race, religion, political affiliation, and sexual orientation/preference?

Another thing to note is this: I don't know about the other states, but in CA, the drivers license makes no mention of race, religion, political affiliation, or sexual orientation. Someone posted and I read, that once you get your M1 on your license (a designation in CA that you're officially a biker) that becomes PART of you. Just like your height, your eyes color, your weight. Regardless of the color of the skin or religion of the next guy (or gal) with a M1 on his/her license, I have more in common with that person than I do with the next person that doesn't have that M1. Regardless of what that person is UNDER that helmet, he/she looks the same as me. He/She faces the same perils, smiles because of the same thrill at twisting the throttle as I do.

Not saying that those without a M1 aren't nice and good people, but my top priority on the road or justice related is to the next person that has a M1 first... unless when it comes to family, friends, or my girl I love/like.

Sadly, each of the traditional groups have their own organizations to protect their rights, the blacks, mexicans, asians, greens, blues, reds, have their group to protect them. The gays have their org to protect them, the christians/muslims/buddists have their org to protect them in times of injustice too... But where is OUR org? The AMA (American Motorcycle Association)? How come they didn't send a squad of lawyers down to demand a fair sentence for Donald Williams? Where are they now to press for prosecution of the pick-up truck driver?

I know I'm on my soap-box, but sometimes it also fires me up and sadden me at the same time when fellow riders don't stick up for each other and give each other support in time of need. Worst I've seen so many criticisims from riders against another that I wonder if that person really rides at all. Sure some of us are idiots on the road, some are even squidy. Bottom line is a "bad child" he/she maybe, but he/she is STILL your brother/sister on 2 wheels on the road. Some of you actually take the side of the cager against a fellow rider EVEN when the cagers' actions are doubtful.

If saw a squid that wreaked, I would stop and say, 'you're a retarded squid... But are you okay? You need a ambulance? Let me put this under your head or throw this jacket on you until the ambulance gets here...'... etc....

Sure the kids should've been worn helmets, sure Donald Williams shouldn't have been racing... But all in all, even in a cynical perspective aren't their circumstances questionable and should get our support? Even if it's just postings?

that's a damn shame!  they should have some restrictions and mandate helmet laws.[/QUOTE]

Did I just hear you demand MORE Regulations?
rock.gif
You must be out of your.......oh wait....your from the peoples republic of Massachusettes. Nevermind. It all makes sense to me now.  
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|newmill
Reason for Edit: None given...|1135742960 -->

eynlai,

I see you are very passionate about this, and I commend you for it. I also agree that bikers should look out for one another. I also know that every-time we ride it is our responsibility and duty to observe our surroundings... to watch for objects in the road and road conditions. We have to assume that cagers don't see us... we have to react to opposing conditions!

I don't know if this was the boys first time on a bike or what. Clearly, though, he didn't have enough experience or supervision. The accident is a damn shame... but I have to put blame where blame is due. The inability of the boys skills and the parents that let him ride unprotected and unsupervised.

I'm not saying the boy deserved this. I hate to see any biker get hurt, let alone die! To cast blame on the truck owner is to simply say that we bikers have the right to ride anywhere and however we desire... and without facing the consequences of our actions.

There's been a kid riding up and down the streets here the last couple of days on one of those things. I'm amazed the cops havn't nailed him yet. Probably can't catch him ... the little sucker seems to go pretty good.

California Pocket bike law:

Prohibits the operation of a mini-motorcycle, also known as a pocket bike, on a sidewalk, roadway, or any other part of a highway; on a bikeway, bicycle path or trail, equestrian trail, hiking or recreational trail; or on public lands open to off-highway motor vehicle use. It allows law enforcement to impound a pocket bike that is being illegally operated. The law also requires a manufacturer to affix a sticker to the pocket bike that provides written disclosure to the consumer regarding prohibitive operation and that a violation of the law may result in seizure of that vehicle.

Nuff said.

<!--EDIT|newmill
Reason for Edit: None given...|1135784981 -->

Back