Please help with FI light when using air shifter

OB_busa69

Registered
I need some help please. Every time I use my air shifter with shift counter for engine kill my FL light will come on and not go off until I turn off the key. Please give any advise avaliable this is driving me crazy.

I'll have to check my notes but I think just the inductor/coil didn't work,it must have something to do with the steel core.I maybe wrong like I say I need to check.
Gasabusa

Gas,

Did you leave it wired in parallel, I switched it in during kill time. Need a quick relay, <6mS if I remember. Wound my own coil @ work, ferrite core. ECM has to miss two consecutive pulses to flag.

Dave

[This message has been edited by DaveO (edited 24 February 2000).]

OK here goes the secret will be out. the FI unit looks for an identical load to the ignition coils, a resistor does not provde this as the FI unit is looking for the exact same type current trace.For tech reasons I will not go into here the best solution is to put a small relay across each of the coils(one where you can remove the contacts or the clicking will drive you crazy).With these wired correctly the FI will think your coils are still on for the 40-80ms that they go missing.
This can also be used to run a seperate ignition system whilst keeping the fuel injection system on. I've done this with a Dyna 2000 and the standard injection when I was running some gas. I'll be using this again with the new Schnitz all in one box.When I get it.If you have electronics friend he'll probably be able to help you out if not ring me in the UK on 0181 500 5770 and I'll fax you what you need or leave your Email address.
Gasabusa

Would one of you guys send me a primitive wiring scematic on how you hooked up the relays and the type of relays that you used. Were they used on the grey wires that got o the coils. Thanks for the help.
Jay

Did you find the information you were looking for Gas? I was told that when the FI light is on the computer goes to "safe" map and retards the timing. Do you know if this is true? Are you hooking up the coils on the gery wires or the colored wires? Also are you kooking them up in series or pallelel? Thanks for any info that you can give me.

Sorry guys I've been ultra busy getting ready to go to Gainesville.Heres a quick description.You need to wire the relay coils in parallel with the ignition coils, when the ignition is cut you need to cut the supply to the igniton coils but maintain the supply to the relay. This makes the FI unit believe that the coils are still on the end.
Interesting comment on the default map.I have run Busa's with the light flashing and with it in normal mode.There has been no decrease in power shown on the dyno.What happens on the road maybe different.I have ridden Busa's with 0 maps and Yosh boxed altered, the Yosh box Busa's showed very small increases(1-2bhp) but were noticably stronger.I think we need some one with a new eddie current dyno to do the experiment as the std dynojet dyno maybe reaching its limits here.
I'll enclose a cct diagram when I get back from the USA.
Gasabusa

Thanks gas I really appreciate the help. I think I understang what you are saying and I am going to try hooking up the coils tomorrow. Thanks again.
Jay

Back