PLEASE HELP ON SUSPENSION SETTINGS.

OB_valklex

Registered
This is my first bike with adjustable suspension. I need to understand how the 3 adjustments (preload, damping and rebound) on front and back correlate to one another. How do you know/feel which (P,D,R), where (F,B) and how much (# clicks) to adjust, and how do you know if they need adjustment? Are the factory settings a good start, or which settings do you suggest I start with? I weigh 165 lb., I'm not a knee dragger but I should use 60/70% of cornering clearance, and I rarely cruise above 125. Any suggestions?

DP and KA: Thanks a lot for your help.
DP, don't worry; I'll find it. You have better things to do this time of the year. Enjoy your holidays and best wishes for Y2K.

I'm not going to give you 'this does that' stuff, but a gripe instead.

How do you know how many lines are showing for preload on front when the rubbermount cover hides the lines?

To show I'm not a sniveler, the answer is buy a machinist's scale with a depth 't' on it and measure down from the flats of the preload screw.

Valklex: I think you should start with the factory settings and go from there.
You know what your driving habits are and what your local roads are like. Also, only you know if your going to have a passinger and how often that might be.

You know if you get into a situation that you don't like, like the front end coming up on you to easy or not easy enough thats a good time to start making some changes.

Dragracing(streetracing) is another world to think about when making changes.

If you could give a little more detail on your expectations, I'd be happy to help you out!

....Frank

Thanks for the response Frank. I always ride solo (I forgot to mention that), and I do not plan to race or anything like that; I'm a pretty conservative rider most of the time, and most roads I travel onto are O.K.
My main concern is how to recognize between compression and rebound; it takes a fraction of a second for the bike to hit and recover from a pothole, how do you know which is contributing to the harshness? If I dial the wrong one, the bike gets more messed up. I also have 2 fairly recent articles where the XX and Busa were compared and the magazine lists the suspension settings they used, but those guys ride like maniacs and usually on a track. I hope this gives you enough info. for your suggestions.
Thanks again.

Valk there's not a lot of mystery to suspension set up for the street, but you have to understand the underlying concepts if you're to move beyond merely dialing in my or other people's settings. Frank's right. It's a very individual thing and it has everything to do with who you are and the way you ride your bike.

Important suggestion coming: Kevin Cameron's book called SPORTBIKE PERFORMANCE HANDBOOK is, in my opinion, the technical bible on sport bike tuning...from suspension to brakes to pipes to engines to trannies to tires and lubricants. It's not too hard to read, it's up-to-date, and I recommend it to everyone whether you're a race mechanic or just a chain oiler.

Published 1998 by MBI publishing.

Anyone else got this book, and what do you think of it?

Valk I have posted a suspension set up that I and several of the guys here have used with success. Although I'm heavier than you (185) these settings will be a good starting point for you if you like a an extra-sporty, but not hard core racing, set-up.

It was a while ago (probably in August) and I don't remember the name of the thread, but if you use the search function you'll eventually find it. Just search words like "rebound" and "pre-load." I've also posted the step-by-step on how to physically input each of the settings on the bike...again I don't know where that is. Seach works like "long shank" and "collar nut."

If you can't find them I'll look for you.

Ohlin's web site offers some general comments on set up OHLIN.NL.COM

Hayabusa suspension settings from www.2wf.com

Front

preload 2.5 lines showing
compression out 2 clicks
rebound out 2 clicks

Rear

preload 1.25 inches of sag
compression out 5 clicks
rebound out 7 clicks

5'11", 184lbs with fullgear. Front - 1 3/8" sag (4 lines showing) compression 8 clicks out, rebound 3 clicks out. Rear - 1 3/16" sag (15mm thread showing)compression 7 clicks out, rebound 5 clicks out. Works for me, & I like to use the rubber to the edge.

Valklex: I think you've got the idea now.

Just check your manual first to make sure what the stock settings are suppose to be, and remember softer & stiffer. But make sure both sides are exactly the number of clicks as the other! Keep them the same!

Heres one tip:

If you want to wheelie more then soften the clicks down by your front axle and your rear shock. Or you can even loosen up the spring retainer nuts on your rear shock 2 to 4 thread lines...

....Frank

Thanks for the suggestions. I will know right away what I want form the bike's suspension; I just wanted to know how to get there, and your settings will help a great deal as a starting point. I'll look for that book DP (being mechanically inclined, I also want to know how the suspension works inside). I'm picking up the bike tomorrow at 1:00pm

Back