please give opinion.

jacob123

Registered
Hey guys im looking for solid advise. I have a busa 05 with 1257 miles i just put a devil 4-2-1 with a werkes gp-1 after burner can. It looks and sounds unbelievable. Also popped in a k&n air filter. Im not sure if i really need any tuning adjustments and i have no reputable dyno tuners around me . What are my options?? Has anyone put a full pipe on and just rode the bike? How would i know if i need a tune? please advise.

A good dyno tune would definately smooth things out and make the bike run better.
However, you are fine to run it on the stock tune. It IS NOT going to harm the engine.
I'de do the "marble mod" which blocks the PAIR valve hose going back into the bottom of the airbox.
The PAIR is still still pumping air into the exhaust for emmisions. With the more free flowing aftermarket exhaust you will now have a "popping" sound from the exhaust on deceleration. That's the air that's been pumped in by the PAIR valve.
It won't harm the engine either, but is easily fixed if you don't like the popping.

I would get a tune to adjust the fuel too. You added air by changing the filter, and increased the amount of exhaust that leaves the bike with the new pipe but have not changed the fuel ratio... Air/fuel ratios are important. You need to get a fuel manager like a power commander and download the correct map for it or find a tuner to give you a custom map.

I would get a tune to adjust the fuel too. You added air by changing the filter, and increased the amount of exhaust that leaves the bike with the new pipe but have not changed the fuel ratio... Air/fuel ratios are important. You need to get a fuel manager like a power commander and download the correct map for it or find a tuner to give you a custom map.

You're unlikely to notice any difference with a Power Commander base map.
They are just that, base maps. A dyno tune is always best.
Gen1 and 2 Busas(and many bikes)are lean from the factory, and leaner with a full exhaust.
However; Where are all the burnt up, ruined engine posts?....There aren't any!
You CAN safely run a stock tune with aftermarket exhaust and air filter. The bike wil run fine and NOT be damaged.
Again, dyo tuning is best, but if you can't, then just ride it.:beerchug:

Honestly I don't think you will get hurt not running a PC or getting a tune. It will run a touch on the lean side but I don't think it would be enough to hurt anything. This can be a little risky however depending on your riding style.
However if you want the bike to run at it's best then you will need a PC (or some other fuel manager) and you will need an adjusted tune.

Oh yeah i forgot i did the marble mod as well. How do you guys feel about auto tune? Or pc3 dealers that ask what my mods are and claim to give me an appropriate tune or one that would be acceptable? Im not racing but i dont want to harm anything or run crappy either. Thanks again for the advise guys.

I have ecu editor, but no personal experience with auto tune.
Auto tune/data logging is more accurate than a dyno tune when done correctly.
You can plug in a power commander yourself, it's very simple.
Then, download a base map from their website. That's all any dealer can do, unless they have a dyno.
With certain base maps(the one designed for your exhaust may not be the best one for your individual bike), you may/may not notice any improvement in how the bike feels, idle, throttle response, ect.
I'de spend the money on Ecu Editor, and a Woolrich Racing datalogger and wideband O2 sensor.
Or, spend it on a road trip to someone who dyno tunes with Ecu Editor.
With a tuner using Ecu editor there are no parts or equipment to buy. Where as if you want to have a dyno tune with a Power Commander you have to buy it.
Ecu Editor can also do many things that Power Commander cannot.

Then, download a base map from their website. That's all any dealer can do, unless they have a dyno.
With certain base maps(the one designed for your exhaust may not be the best one for your individual bike), you may/may not notice any improvement in how the bike feels, idle, throttle response, ect.
I'de spend the money on Ecu Editor, and a Woolrich Racing datalogger and wideband O2 sensor.
With a tuner using Ecu editor there are no parts or equipment to buy. Where as if you want to have a dyno tune with a Power Commander you have to buy it.

Agreed

You may not hurt the engine, but you won't get the performance improvements from the mods without tuning. If you want a datalogger, I'll sell you my used one reasonable.

Innovative SSI-4 with cables and software ($129 new)
LC-1 Lambda cable and Wideband O2 sensor with cables and software ($199 new)
Radioshack serial to USB cable with software ($38 new)

This is what I used to tune Luci when I went to the HMF 4-2-1 highmount. All of my laptops now run Windows 7, and I'm not able to find the correct drivers to make it all work. Everything works great with Windows XP, but I don't want to downgrade for this. You will still need a Power Commander or some other device to make the adjustments. This will just allow you to log the A/F ratio, Gear, RPM, and throttle position so you can see where things need to be adjusted.

this would be the best advice i would give just what sixpack said..... i have been using the ecu editor for a few years know on all my bikes and have nothing but great things to say about it...

Back