Plastic repair...how it turned out

2hip

Registered
What a pest I am...sorry...I wish I knew how to use things on here correctly..hope it helps someone to overcome their fears of working on messed up plastics...:thumbsup:

1. supplies needed...in these pics you'll review the glazing putty hasn't been used yet...just the 2tube cement

2. This is the back of the badly cracked lower right fairing near the clutch cover. I taped the front side of the fairing with a plastic shipping tape to hold the surface flat while I gobbered it up on the back...allowed it to sit under a light all night so no rapid temp changes.
3. this is the front side filled and sanded down. The white streak in the center of the filet is where the crack was beveled and cemented and sanded down with orbital and then hand sanded to smooth.
4. next step is to use the glazing putty to fill all of the gouges in the plastic...then smooth sand it and ready for primer paint..

What I can say...i love learning new skill sets...thank God I have a mentor and hope I am not boring you to death...if you have any advice on anything feel free to go at it...2hip

don't understand what happened to the pictures...they were there and didn't post up...so here they are again...getting tired...2hip

plastic repairs 101 003.jpg

plastic repairs 101 001.jpg

plastic repairs 101 004.jpg

plastic repairs 101 005.jpg

Maybe a little mesh on the back side when you epoxy, and any cracks on the front kitty hair body filler over the crack or it will likely crack the paint later as it flexes. Hope this helps.

Tclause...should I apply more putty over my prepared surface? Kitty hair body filler..just google it? 2hip thanks for tips...need all I can get...thanks 2hip

Sorry man but yes I would put kitty hair filler over the cracks on the top side and then final finish. Kitty hair is just a term used by body guys for body filler which has fiberglass strands in it. Just about anyplace that sells bodywork supplies will carry it.

Turbobusa...i know...pita...hit the wrong button once or twice and didn't know how to put headers on the pics...sorry for my messy posting...:whistle:2hip

Turbobusa...i know...pita...hit the wrong button once or twice and didn't know how to put headers on the pics...sorry for my messy posting...:whistle:2hip

As long as you keep the messing up on here and not on the Busa, everything will be okay:whistle:

Good work, things seem to be moving along pretty well for ya:thumbsup:

Brother if you ever get down to san jose on the weekend come by for a visit I have some plastic welding equipment (a little skill too) and real good epoxies you look like your on the right track either way, but if your using just epoxy make sure your scrape up the adjoining areas real good front and back 36 grit for a good bite. A thin close knit wire mesh is a good backing for reinforcement and make sure you clean the heck outta the surface before setting the epoxy on there. you can use a good flex bumper putty to smooth it out before you hit it with primer. glazing putty might not flex enough or crack. you may also want to see what full cure time is for the epoxy so it doesn't interfere with the putty. if it says 24 hours to full cure let it sit and then go over it with your putty.

After you sand it down, take a pencil in one hand, close your eyes and run your other hand over what you are going to paint. Mark any imperfections you feel with the pencil. You will be surprised what your eyes miss......

and have someone else feel it too. get the wife in as a quality control inspector. tell her any rough spots need to be circled.

Where could I get plastic welding kit from? I have a crack on my left fairing and 2 on my tail section that I need to get fixed.

Plastic weld it for sure!!

You can use a soldering iron with the right tip..use the same plastic as the bike,like a scrap belly wing ect to flow into the cracks....

and a grey primer coat with a little light black spray over it and some wet sanding can show any flaws not seen by eye..

Back