Rainy night plastic repairs..how I did what I was told to do

2hip

Registered
You know...some of you guys are like me...clueless and intimidated on how to repair stuff that is really not that difficult. Sorry I wish i knew a better way to post this stuff up...but I hope that a guy like me...who has zero experience can positively influence other guys who need to do repairs and are afraid to do it themselves...Please review the previous thread this evening on "rainy nights" on how badly damaged and cracked my plastics were.

I used both 800 grit and 320 grit wet sandpaper, a bucket of hot water because it is in the 40's outside, a catalytic heater in the garage, 2 part plastic cement, and a glazing putty that is flexible...

First thing is to use the 320 grit to sand down the grooved areas. You just want to rough up the general areas and take the burrs on the edges of the grooved plastic down to level. U are not trying to remove the grooves... You can see by one of the pictures what scuffed up plastic looks like and what areas were missed (glossy) and need more attention
2. take a dremel type tool and create approx. 45 degree bevels along the front and back of the large crack. You do this so that you can create an anchor, as it were, for the plastic cement putty you will apply liberally. Tape the outerskin (side that shows) with a plastic tape...I used shipping tape. Apply the 2 tube cement to a metal surface and mix with a small applicator until well mixed. Apply a filet over the back side of the plastic and allow to dry overnight...I left a small light bulb on it overnight so that there wouldn't be any rapid changes in temp.
3. Next evening remove the plastic tape on the front, clean surface with cleaner..I used laquer thinner. Make up your 2tube plastic cement, mix it and apply liberally...try to keep it relatively thin so you don't have too much sanding
4. the next day use electric orbital sander to smooth it down near smooth...then use 320 grit till you are close to the surface...then use 800 to smooth sand it

I will post up more pics as the work progresses...guys...don't be afraid to learn a new skill set...even if you have someone else spray it...taking all of the plastics off and prepping them is huge work...the spraying is the easy part...not that I would know (yet):laugh: 2hip

bike plastics ready for primer 02-04-10 014.jpg

Ooppss...I hit submit instead of manage attachments..sorry about that...plastics will look a little milky from sanding...that is clear coat and maybe a little wax coming off...getting ready for primer coat...45 degree bevel cut into crack with dremel tool

bike plastics ready for primer 02-04-10 018.jpg

bike plastics ready for primer 02-04-10 017.jpg

bike plastics ready for primer 02-04-10 005.jpg

bike plastics ready for primer 02-04-10 008.jpg

bike plastics ready for primer 02-04-10 016.jpg

You are getting some good progress on the panels. Can't wait to see the end result after all the work is done and the panels get painted. :thumbsup::beerchug::thumbsup:

Back