Pirelli Diablo Corsa III

toastman

Registered
Hi gang,
I need some feedback on a couple of things.
Firstly I have just replaced my stock tires with the Corsa III's. Right away I noticed it felt a little more unstable on the road in a straight line (kind of washy back and forth).Checked the tire pressure, and running at 40 psi ( I weight 230lbs) Is this feeling normal with such a stickier tire?
Secondly, I now have a slight wobble at about 90 kmh, and if I take my hands off the bars it is really noticable. I have taken the bike back in, and they put the front tire on the balancer, and it came out at a zero reading.What else could be causing the wobble? (85 to 95 kmh)

Cheers,

Tony

I think the Corsa III has a smaller contact patch when riding straight, and larger on the sides for cornering. Also could be the fact that it is a harder compound rubber in the center section versus the sides. One other consideration is that they are new.

Wobble could also be alignment front to rear.

Just guessing.

Kevin

The Corsa III's are made to turn in better and have less of a contact patch when going straight, and more contact patch when leaned over on the side. Your old tires were worn down in the center giving you more of a contact patch when going straight and a much more stable feeling. Plus your air pressure is kind of high and therefore you have a smaller contact patch in the center of the tire. If you lowered the pressure to aroung 36f/36r it would feel much more planted, but it will also flat spot the center of your tires quicker. For longer mileage, just run the 40psi and you will get used to the feeling.
As for the wobble, check your rear wheel alignment. If it is off, it could cause the vibration and a bit of a wobble from the rear tire.
I personally would run 36 psi and just replace the tires more often because the added grip is worth the extra tire wear. I run the standard Diablo's and I love them, even though they only last around 3K miles.

Hey,

Thanks guys, I didn't now they had a smaller contact in the middle....see you can teach an ol' dog new tricks!!
I will try the different pressure. And maybe its the rear thats not balanced properly? Its aligned right to the nuts as I use a set of trammel points connected to a hockey stick shaft to measure side to side...makes it dead on the money.
Cheers,

Tony

Thanks Chromed, I am definatly going to drop the tire pressure. I just thought with my 6'5" carcass and 230lbs of it, a higher tire pressure would be needed.

Cheers

Tony

btw Your ride is one sweet lookin machine!! Very nice. I am going to extend my swingarm, pipes,commmander,etc over this coming winter....geezus did I just say winter? DOH

Back