PING: ENGINE BUILDERS.....

delboy

God save the Queen.......
Donating Member
Registered
Busa brothers, I gave my old bike GSXR1100K to my brother in law, he is in the process of rebuilding the bike. The bike was Dyno'ed at 134 RWBHP it runs a ignition advancer, Micron 4:2:1 with a race can, and I think the cams are dialed in.

PLEASE any ideas on the Inlet and Exhaust valve clearances as I can't get hold of the guy in Berlin that tuned it. He really needs this info so PLEASE HELP.

beerchug.gif

bowdown.gif

Shim/Bucket type...
First, once the valve cover is moved you should remove all the spark plugs as well. We need to get the #1 Cyl on TDCC (top dead center compression). The Cylinders are ALWAYS numbered from left to right as you are sitting on the bike. So the #1 cyl would be the most left cylinder. To get the #1 Cyl on TDCC you must rotate the crankshaft by removing the inspection cover on the left side of the stator assy. There will be a 17mm bolt holding the rotor on the crankshaft. You ALWAYS rotate the motor twords the front tire or in the forward direction. You can also turn the motorcycle on, zip tie the clutch lever in and tap the start button as well if you feel comfortable with that process, but for instructional purposes we will be using a 17mm socket and rachet technique. Now you rotate the crankshaft while watching the lobes of the cams rotate and depress the buckets of the valves. You need to first watch the exhaust cam depress and then right after the INTAKE cam depresses the valves on the #1 Cylinder the cam lobes need to be pointing to the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock position. With the cam lobes in this position on the #1 Cylinder we can check all of #1 Cylinders valves both intake and exhaust, #2 Cylinder exhaust valves only and #3 Cylinder intake valves only. We will use a measurement of .10~.20mm intake and .20~.30mm exhaust. Check your service manual for the ACTUAL specs!!! Sometimes specs can be found on the bike itself under the seat area. If the .10 fits and the .20 doesn't then your in spec on that intake valve only. If the .10 doesn't fit or .20 feels loose then you need to record how tight or loose that particular valve is so you can reshim it later. You do the same process for all your exhaust measurements as well. Now, once you have done all of #1 cyl, #2 exhuast and #3 intake valves we need to do the other eight. You now need to get the #4 cyl on TDCC and do all #4 cyl valves, #3 exhaust and #2 intake measurements. Once you have all your recorded measurements you need to put the #1 Cyl back to TDCC for the cam removal. I use pins between cams, also use the alignment marks on the cam sprockets to make sure everything is where it needs to be. The marks will have IN and EX marked on them and the will have a horizontal line that should be even with the gasket surface of the valve cover. You need to relieve tension off of the cam chain by removing or backing out the tensioner. Then you need to remove the cam caps. Now the buckets should be exposed. You look at your notes of your measurements and select the appropiate shim for all the mis-adjusted valves. Once the shims have been replace then you can put the exhaust cam in first and then the intake cam, making sure you have the correct pins between cams and that the marks on the sprockets are aligned as well. Put the cam caps back on and torque to spec. Slowly reinstall the cam chain tensioner until there is good tension on the cam chain. Now, you need to rotate the engine over in the forward direction (twords the front wheel) to make sure you didn't misalign the cams timing with the crankshaft. If the engine stops turning then you have a valve that is coming in contact with the piston and you need to make sure your cam to crankshaft timing is correct. After rotating this 3 to 4 times you can put the motorcycle back together.

Taken from Gixxer.com (Yosh Pilot)

Sonny, can you go into more detail?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Way to help a bro out! you da man!
beerchug.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

ks-waterbug Jan. 29 2007,09:39
Sorry yours is the screw type....
inlet 0.10-0.15
ex 0.18-0.23[/Quote]

Sorry guys, thanks but these numbers are straight out of the book, I think that as the cams have been dialed in the clearance should be larger. The number 0.25 for both rings a bell, can anyone confirm this ? ping: johnny cheese or other tuning Gods  
beerchug.gif

bowdown.gif

(deldewey @ Jan. 30 2007,02:01) ks-waterbug Jan. 29 2007,09:39
Sorry yours is the screw type....
inlet 0.10-0.15
ex 0.18-0.23

Sorry guys, thanks but these numbers are straight out of the book, I think that as the cams have been dialed in the clearance should be larger. The number 0.25 for both rings a bell, can anyone confirm this ? ping: johnny cheese or other tuning Gods
beerchug.gif
bowdown.gif
[/Quote]
the clearances will remain the same as OEM spec.... if you alter them you then affect lift and duration..... this unless the maker of the cams have made other tolerances known of course.
if they are OEM cams with adj. sprockets, then use the book specs.

Back