ping>>>Doc Busa..

moondog

Donating Member
Registered
OK, need the straight poop... I'm thinking about boosting the 03' but wondering just how streetable it will be. I can finally, after a year, use all the power my (basically) stock busa can make. Before I spend a ton on other mods, tell me if you are happy with a turbo... I am mainly a high speed twisties rider. I remember the first thread you wrote post-turbo, seems to me you were a little overwhelmed...wondering if you had made the right choice. After life with boost, is there any going back?

There is a good thread on this in an unlikely location. Go to TurboTalk under Stunnah's First Boosted Ride (or something like that).

The final analysis, yes, it is a blast. Words of advice, make sure you got the finances and patience to back it up. Expect the unexpected failures at first. That said, if you have a professional builder/tuner (i.e., NLR, Motorhead, Velocity-Kevin), you should be in good shape from day one.

Don't cut corners. This can be argued up down and all around, but hey, you asked me. If I were to do it again, I would have thrown out the $$$ right off the bat and not f'd around with breaking stuff and then getting the good stuff. Too frustrating.

My recommendation, get a GOOD builder. Tell them what you desire. Go in with the knowledge you learned here and other places. Discuss. Get ready to drop $5-10k... then, you will be in awe of the power.

HOWEVER, you said you are mostly into twisties. This blows my mind how you need more power. The stock busa could easily slide out under hard power out of a curve. A turbo will throw you off, bend you over, and.... well, you get the point. It is NOT forgiving. On mine, a highly-modded Hahn, it is kind of surg-y and you gotta be very smooth on the throttle. I ride mostly straight stuff. When the twisties come, I keep the RPMs down, probably less power to the pavement than I would do with my non-turbo. In fact, I KNOW that I am faster in the twisties on my non-turbo. That said, once the road opens up... daaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhm!

Here are components I would suggest:

High end kit - intercooled or water injected
PowerCommander IIIr
blow-off valve
larger injectors
turbo pistons
spacer plate
HD wrist pins
billet sprocket carrier (in case you snap a chain)
APE or Motorhead studs/bolts
Aftermarket rods if you want over 300 HP
Lock-up clutch (or at least aftermarket clutch parts)
braided brake lines
HH Brake pads - (perferably with high ferrous rotors)

I am getting addicted to the boost, but it took a YEAR to get to this point, and I still got a lot to do. I have well over $20k in this bike, and more to go to get it right. I still wonder if things are going to come apart when I spend a day boosting it...

SUMMARILY, If you got the $$$$$ and patience, DO IT!!!! If you want to go super fast in the twisties, buy an Aprillia Mille R...

Just my opinion...

Thanks, Doc! this is what I needed to hear. I think I would be better off with some more minor mods...I was afraid of the power coming on too quick, I thought I might be able to smooth the power delivery out some with the gear box but sounds too dangerous for me. Keeping the course I'm on for now...

If you're a twisties guy, may want to think about parts to lighten the beast up. Carbon fiber, magnesium wheels, lighter rotors, etc. Also, Ohlins makes front forks and rear shock for the Busa... Again, if I had a lot of tight twisties to master, and spare $$$, i'de get me an Aprillia!!!

Back