Phony mortgage plan

runeight

why ask why
Donating Member
Registered
PHONY MORTGAGE PLAN

By RICHARD MORRIS

Published on TheHill.com on March 10, 2009

President Obama and his big spenders are moving quickly, to the relief of those who are facing foreclosure on their mortgages. But the program they are offering will do nothing for those most in need.

In the fine print, Obama's plan provides no relief for any homeowner whose mortgage exceeds the total value of his home. But these folks are the ones who have been conned into taking sub-prime mortgages so loaded with brokerage commissions, interest rate subsidies, bank fees and lawyer and title-company charges that the amount of the mortgage has ballooned. These high mortgage amounts, coupled with declining property values, have turned about 20 percent of American mortgages upside down, so that the debt exceeds the value of the property.

By excluding these homeowners from help, Obama is guilty of a holier-than-thou hypocrisy. Was it not Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac that encouraged such over-mortgaged properties? Was it not the Democrats in Congress who passed legislation urging Fannie and Freddie to weaken the standards to allow more low- and lower-middle-income families to buy homes?

How can Obama suddenly pretend to be so shocked -- shocked -- that about 20 percent of America's home mortgages are now worth more than the property they finance? It was the insistence of liberal Democrats that made it so. When Housing and Urban Development Secretary Henry Cisneros demanded that Fannie and Freddie invest 42 percent of their assets in buying low- and lower-middle-income mortgages, and when his successor Andrew Cuomo raised the quota to 50 percent, what did they think would happen? When they explicitly told Fannie and Freddie not to insist on down payments in the mortgages they purchased, how did they think the purchase would be funded? Obviously, if you don't require the borrower to put money down, the full purchase price must be covered by the mortgage. To now, piously, refuse to come to the rescue of those who fell for your party's seeming generosity and bought homes on the terms it suggested is hypocritical at best.

But it is not only the over-mortgaged whom Obama will ignore, but those who have lost their jobs! If you do not make enough money such that your mortgage payments come to 31 percent of your income, you can't get your mortgage refinanced. If your income has dropped to a point where your monthly payments on your loan consume a greater part of your earnings than 31 percent, you are stuck.

So we have Obama rushing to the aid of those who have been hurt in this bad economy, but exempting from his proposed relief anyone who has lost his job and seen a cut in income or whose property values have dropped below the amount of his mortgage. In other words, he'll help anyone but those most in need.

And, once again, Obama would limit his aid to those who make below $200,000 a year. While he doesn't specify this limit in his proposal, he does limit his intervention to mortgages of less than $720,000. At standard mortgage interest rates, such a loan would call for $60,000 or so in payments a year. To qualify for relief, your mortgage payment can't be larger than 31 percent of your income -- or about $200,000. Once more, Obama makes it clear that he is not the president of anyone who makes that much money or more. He is only the president of the other people.

Obama, of course, forgets -- or doesn't care -- that those making over $200,000 account for almost a third of the total national spending and that you cannot stimulate an economy while constantly cutting off those people from any consideration in any government program. But Obama is determined to try.

r8

Gee I wonder what Obama would do if the American people decided to do their own stimulus package and not pay their taxes this year. Since that is probably the only way any us are going to see a relief.

He doesn't care. The Dems are spending so fast, hoping to get all they can get before someone puts a halt to it.

Aren't these the same people you don't want to received any help because they bought more than they could afford?

Let's see...if someone's income is not over three times the amount of their mortgage, they shouldn't own a home. Makes sense to me. As Silver Surfer pointed out, people that allowed themselves to get in these in these situations are a huge part of the problem. Morris does nothing more than try to slam Obama, irregardless of making any sense. If at least his fanatically partisan thoughts were written creatively, his columns wouldn't be a total waste of time.

Perhaps you should go wipe on the pick up or Buick :laugh:.

Its easy to play the blame game, but until everyone starts to contribute to change we as a nation will fail. Hate to be a doomsayer but, I think that the U.S.A. will succumb to "SALIGIA". The signs are everywhere, its in the news every day, we've built an "Empire of Dept" fueled by lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, envy and pride. Think about it. Now I'll jump down from my soapbox.

F.Y.I. I'm not a dem.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Let's see...if someone's income is not over three times the amount of their mortgage, they shouldn't own a home. Makes sense to me. As Silver Surfer pointed out, people that allowed themselves to get in these in these situations are a huge part of the problem. Morris does nothing more than try to slam Obama, irregardless of making any sense. If at least his fanatically partisan thoughts were written creatively, his columns wouldn't be a total waste of time.

Perhaps you should go wipe on the pick up or Buick :laugh:.

The real blame does need to be on the shoulders of the people that got the stupid loans.

It wasn't Predatory lending it was Predatory spending:poke:

Fixed that for you.

Humm. Seems that those who agree with President Robin Hood robbing from the rich and giving to the poor are ok with it as long as you aren't too poor. BTW, many of the people he is robbing aren't that rich either.

The people who are being excluded are mostly people who did not have the knowledge or experience to truely understand the risks of the mortgages they were being sold. Now the same folks who sold them on the high risk mortgage are turning their backs on them since it didn't turn out to be the high gain deal they thought it would be. But that seems to be alright with the liberals as long as Obama takes from the upper middle class and gives it all to the middle middle class. BTW, the traditional rule of thumb when purchacing a house is that a mortgage should not be more than 40% of your income.

Fixed that for you.

Should have fixed the irregardless while you were at it. Proper word usage is regardless.

ir⋅re⋅gard⋅less   /ˌɪrɪˈgɑrdlɪs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ir-i-gahrd-lis] Show IPA
–adverb Nonstandard. regardless.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1910–15; ir- 2 (prob. after irrespective) + regardless

Usage note:
Irregardless is considered nonstandard because of the two negative elements ir- and -less. It was probably formed on the analogy of such words as irrespective, irrelevant, and irreparable. Those who use it, including on occasion educated speakers, may do so from a desire to add emphasis. Irregardless first appeared in the early 20th century and was perhaps popularized by its use in a comic radio program of the 1930s.

Last edited:
Humm. Seems that those who agree with President Robin Hood robbing from the rich and giving to the poor are ok with it as long as you aren't too poor. BTW, many of the people he is robbing aren't that rich either.

The people who are being excluded are mostly people who did not have the knowledge or experience to truely understand the risks of the mortgages they were being sold. Now the same folks who sold them on the high risk mortgage are turning their backs on them since it didn't turn out to be the high gain deal they thought it would be. But that seems to be alright with the liberals as long as Obama takes from the upper middle class and gives it all to the middle middle class. BTW, the traditional rule of thumb when purchacing a house is that a mortgage should not be more than 40% of your income.

And 40% seems too high. 40% would be okay if you were debt free. The problem is too many people borrow to the point they can barely make the minimum pmt's then when emergencies happen and the furnace needs replaced or they splurge too much this month they end up behind or have to get ANOTHER credit card to cover the furnace and they just get deeper and deeper. I learned this lesson the hard way years ago.

Should have fixed the irregardless while you were at it. Proper word usage is regardless.

ir⋅re⋅gard⋅less   /ˌɪrɪˈgɑrdlɪs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ir-i-gahrd-lis] Show IPA
–adverb Nonstandard. regardless.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1910–15; ir- 2 (prob. after irrespective) + regardless

Usage note:
Irregardless is considered nonstandard because of the two negative elements ir- and -less. It was probably formed on the analogy of such words as irrespective, irrelevant, and irreparable. Those who use it, including on occasion educated speakers, may do so from a desire to add emphasis. Irregardless first appeared in the early 20th century and was perhaps popularized by its use in a comic radio program of the 1930s.

Dennis I think he did spell it right:whistle::laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
my wife and I closed on our house march 20th 2008 about 19 days to soon to qualify for the 7500$ 1st time home buyers tax rebate Bush signed before he left office....hows that for suck?4-9-2008 to 12-31-2008

Obama changed it to $8000 and you dont have to pay his back..... 1-1-2009 to 12-31-2009 to qualify for Obama's

There is one thing a lot of you guys are missing, home prices in Cali have dropped almost 50%. Almost 50%! So ANYONE who bought in the last 7 years doesn't have any equity and anyone who bought in the last 4 years has negative equity.

There is no point in placing blame, the economy sucks because of the mortgage crisis. And it affects everyone, all of you. There are a lot of people that can avoid foreclosure IF they can refinance. So here's the choice, allow everyone to refi to fix the economy. Or say they deserved it, don't allow the refi and watch your house's value go down further and the economy slump further.

Why not let people keep paying mortgages? Because of equity? Equity is pointless and meaningless. My house went from $610,000 to $350,000. Equity is completely meaningless. My mortgage payment doesn't change with equity. Its just as much now as it was before. Equity is meaningless. Time to refi people who can afford to keep paying and ignore the stupid equity number.

Last edited:
But I will say this, Obama's plan to cut the interest write off is a horrible idea. That's going to make it harder for people to pay mortgages and will increase the amount of foreclosures. Now is not the time to make it more expensive to own a home.

Why not let people keep paying mortgages? Because of equity? Equity is pointless and meaningless. My house went from $610,000 to $350,000. Equity is completely meaningless. My mortgage payment doesn't change with equity. Its just as much now as it was before. Equity is meaningless. Time to refi people who can afford to keep paying and ignore the stupid equity number.

I thought the original idea of the bailout was to make the money available to the banks so they could refinance the sub-prime mortgages into something more stable for the people caught up in this mess. SO what are they really doing with OUR MONEY if they aren't using it to help out the folks who need help?

Last edited:
Back