People say the strangest things

okay...does a combustion engine NEED cylinders to operate?

in many eyes...yes...answer is no but they need combustion chambers.

and why isn't it a cylinder? Looks round and long to me.

1. Geometry. a surface or solid bounded by two parallel planes and generated by a straight line moving parallel to the given planes and tracing a curve bounded by the planes and lying in a plane perpendicular or oblique to the given planes.

cylinder....combustion chamber.....same thing in theory.

combustion chambers...one could argue it had three btw.

okay...does a combustion engine NEED cylinders to operate?

in many eyes...yes...answer is no but they need combustion chambers.

and why isn't it a cylinder? Looks round and long to me.

1. Geometry. a surface or solid bounded by two parallel planes and generated by a straight line moving parallel to the given planes and tracing a curve bounded by the planes and lying in a plane perpendicular or oblique to the given planes.

and that is in reference to the overall shape, not each "chamber"

It could be argued that this is all true, to a certain extent, and from a certain point of view. However, most of this is lost on the average person who doesn't know a piston from a two week old sandwich.

Do you really think I want to stand around gas stations explaining an obscure piece of engine technology and all the physics, thermodynamics, history, and Zarathustran religion behind it to every catastrophically retarded person who thinks they know what they're talking about because they read an article on the internet about how "rotary engines always break and apex seals are made of cheese"?

I used to carry the keys to my FD on a ring with a small fob in the shape of a rotor. I thought that maybe if I could provide some visual explanation of how the engine worked people would be less confused about them. I gave up on that project about a month after I started it.

Me: See...there's two of these little things inside the engine. They spin...they ROTATE. And they cover and uncover exhaust ports as they rotate. They also do all the work of compressing the fuel air mixture and transferring the power to the eccentric shaft, which is somewhat akin to a crankshaft, but still very different. The engine doesn't have the need for pistons or cylinders, these little triangular rotors do all the work as they spin.

Him: Ya mean them little triangles actually go up and down INSIDE the cylinder? Doesn't that scratch the crap out of the cylinder walls? How come they didn't just use regular old circular pistons? Hey dudes, there's a guy over here who says his car has triangular pistons!

Me: Notice how I have jammed this keyfob through your eye socket and into your brain. Go tell all your friends that's how a rotary engine works.

I was getting gas in the 7 once and a man approached me to ask a few questions about it. The conversation went something like this;

Him: "Sure is a fine lookin' car. Is that Japanese?"

Me: Yes, it's a Mazda.

Him: Yeah, I figgered...don't look American. How many cylinders does it have?

Me: None, it's a rotary.

Him: Ya mean it's only a four cylinder?

Me: No, it's a rotary. It hasn't got any cylinders.

Him: Ya mean like a V-twin with only two? Like a Harley?

Me: No...zero cylinders...none...no cylinders.....ro-ta-ry

Him: ......so....three cylinders then?

Me: *stab*

My brother has the 8, and he said he hates it when people ask "what's in it" ? Because he said he knows what's comming after that, LoL.

:stoopid::stoopid:
It could be argued that this is all true, to a certain extent, and from a certain point of view. However, most of this is lost on the average person who doesn't know a piston from a two week old sandwich.

Do you really think I want to stand around gas stations explaining an obscure piece of engine technology and all the physics, thermodynamics, history, and Zarathustran religion behind it to every catastrophically retarded person who thinks they know what they're talking about because they read an article on the internet about how "rotary engines always break and apex seals are made of cheese"?

I used to carry the keys to my FD on a ring with a small fob in the shape of a rotor. I thought that maybe if I could provide some visual explanation of how the engine worked people would be less confused about them. I gave up on that project about a month after I started it.

Me: See...there's two of these little things inside the engine. They spin...they ROTATE. And they cover and uncover exhaust ports as they rotate. They also do all the work of compressing the fuel air mixture and transferring the power to the eccentric shaft, which is somewhat akin to a crankshaft, but still very different. The engine doesn't have the need for pistons or cylinders, these little triangular rotors do all the work as they spin.

Him: Ya mean them little triangles actually go up and down INSIDE the cylinder? Doesn't that scratch the crap out of the cylinder walls? How come they didn't just use regular old circular pistons? Hey dudes, there's a guy over here who says his car has triangular pistons!

Me: Notice how I have jammed this keyfob through your eye socket and into your brain. Go tell all your friends that's how a rotary engine works.

Sooooo, what yur sain is, thay gots cylinderz, rite ? :stoopid: :laugh:

My brother has the 8, and he said he hates it when people ask "what's in it" ? Because he said he knows what's comming after that, LoL.

I just ask the guy if he likes ketchup. When he says "yes" I spread a little bit on my knuckles and punch his lights out. When he wakes up and the cops ask him, "who hit you?" his response will be, "some guy driving a rotary."

Education complete.

I just ask the guy if he likes ketchup. When he says "yes" I spread a little bit on my knuckles and punch his lights out. When he wakes up and the cops ask him, "who hit you?" his response will be, "some guy driving a rotary."

Education complete.

I know I'll regret this, but what's the ketchup for? :whistle:

Saturday the mental giant that made me start this thread returned because he couldnt remember the price of the Gixxer. I wasnt here but my wife quoted him a higher price...good for her ! Anyway, the Gixxer sold yesterday so I am once again down to one bike and plan on keeping it that way. The Busa is all the bike I need as it does everything so well. Now I have to repay the wife for agreeing to the Busa purchase. She wants a 2003 Jaguar S-type for herself. So guess where the Gixxer money is going ? Marriage is such a compromise ! ???

SIGGED!:rofl:

Back