PC help ??? I'm DuM oops DUBM oops

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
help printing . I'm guessin there's about 10,000 computer whizzes in here . I'd like to print off lists of what I have stored on 10-15 disks . There all MP3's , so I can bring up on my monitor whats on the disk,but cant seem too get a list to print . Every time I wanna play a particular track I have to sort thru disk after disk . I guess I need to transfer the words into one of the word programs . I have a pc runnin win. XP . So I have WordPad . Anybody help
rock.gif
Thanks in advance

Well.. if you're just wanting a list of the file names, do this:

1. Select Run from the start menu and run "cmd.exe"
2. Put a disk in and type "dir /b a:" and press enter
3. Right click on the title bar and select "Edit" then "Mark"
4. Highlight the file list and press enter.
5. Goto something such as Word pad and select "Edit" then "Paste"

Repeat steps 2-5 for each disk. When you're finished, type "exit".

Its a crude way of doing it but it works.

Well.. if you're just wanting a list of the file names, do this:

1. Select Run from the start menu and run "cmd.exe"
2. Put a disk in and type "dir /b a:" and press enter
3. Right click on the title bar and select "Edit" then "Mark"
4. Highlight the file list and press enter.
5. Goto something such as Word pad and select "Edit" then "Paste"

Repeat steps 2-5 for each disk.  When you're finished, type "exit".

Its a crude way of doing it but it works.
too tech for me I guess, couldnt make it work . got the cmd.exe done , type dir...came up with "cant find path".
Thanks for tryin . If anyone has an easier aproach I'm all ears . thx people .

Change your directory first. Say your MP3 folder is on C-drive,

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">dir /b C:\MP3 > C:\dir-list.txt[/QUOTE]

This does a list directory format of C:\MP3 and types it to a file on C:\ called dir-list.txt.

You can replace '/b' with '/w' for a wide-listing or '/a' to get file-size and attribute info. In addition, you can sort the list by adding '/on' for alphabetical by name, '/oe' by extension, '/os' by size.

So if I want an alphabetical list, with file sizes typed to a file, I do:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">dir /on /a C:\MP3 > C:\dir-list.txt[/QUOTE]

Do 'dir /?' by itself for more options. The '>' is not a readily listed feature.

Also, if you have several directories you want printed, add '/s' to the 'dir' command.

Oh, you can open 'dir-list.txt' (or whatever you want to call it) in notepad and copy/paste/edit/print at your whim.
thumbs-up.gif

Oh, you can open 'dir-list.txt' (or whatever you want to call it) in notepad and copy/paste/edit/print at your whim.
thumbs-up.gif
I didnt call it anything....except a "piece-o-fuggin-good-for-nuttin'-hunk -junk. Maybe thats my problem....no not that one....not the "too much aggression" thing , the fact that I didnt call the file something.....besides a "piece-o-fuggin....
hee hee hee hee

Back