Windows Vista Home Premium - OEM disk needed.

thebbbusa

Donating Member
Registered
Does anyone out there have an OEM Vista Home Premium install disk that I could borrow? I have a HP laptop that came pre-installed with all the crap that comes from the mfr, and I would like to reinstall a clean OS on it.

I already have the product key from the sticker on the computer, so all I think I need is the disk to do a clean install. If anyone out there has the ORIGINAL disk and could stand to be without it for a week, I'd be much obliged. My laptop is already backed up and ready to go, so in theory, I should be able to complete the install the same day I get the disk.

Again, I am asking for an original OEM install disk. It cannot be a retail version. It cannot be a copy of an OEM version unless you've successfully installed from it...please be sure...as I don't want to get thru the partition phase only to start getting errors during the install. I can't go to HP for this because they will only provide systyem restoration disks, which will return it to the factory state...which I don't want to do.

I'm sure you techies out there understand. Can anybody help? I will send the disk back within 24 hrs of receipt.

Last edited:
There should be a partition from HP that contains the install files you need. Get into the bios during the startup and see if there is a system restore option.

If it didn't come with a disk it has to have a recovery partition for it.

There should be a partition from HP that contains the install files you need. Get into the bios during the startup and see if there is a system restore option.

If it didn't come with a disk it has to have a recovery partition for it.

Yes, there is a recovery partition...this will restore the computer to the 'from the factory state'....this is not what I want to do, I want windows and nothing else...I want to only install what I want...no extras...this is why I need the disk.

You Product ID (CD key) if for the files on that partition installation file. Even if you have another disk that CD key is worthless. You will need to get a Disk with matching CD key.

Personally, I would just buy one from best buy or something.

Good luck

You Product ID (CD key) if for the files on that partition installation file. Even if you have another disk that CD key is worthless. You will need to get a Disk with matching CD key.

Personally, I would just buy one from best buy or something.

Good luck

Typically the OEM codes will work with the OEM style disks. That's how it has been with Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000 and XP. At least that has been my experience.

OEM codes will not work with retail disks, upgrades or different versions. This is why I specifically asked for Windows Vista Home Premium OEM. To buy an OEM disk one would need to go to a computer store where you can buy supplies when building your own PC. Best Buy's and the like usually only have the retail versions or the upgrades. OEM versions are usually significantly less expensive, but still Windows Vista Home Premium is going for $125 which I don't really want to part with since I only need the disk for an hr or two.

Back