Pants question, need help and opinions

DNGrumpy

Sometimes Dopey fits too
Donating Member
Registered
In my "get off" two months ago I really creamed my right hip.  I dislocated it and bruised the heck out of it.  I hit the pavement via highside at about 25 or 30 MPH.  I walked away without too much pain but it got really bad after a few hours. Well after two full months it still hurts when I am on it for too long and when looking in the mirror it still shows swelling or a rather large pocket of fluid...  I never want to land on a hip again.  I decided I need some riding pants, it is the one pice of gear I do not own.  I have kevlar jeans but that is not what I am looking for.  

I need a set of pants or overpants or armor that fits under regular jeans, They must have hip pads.  If I land on that side again I am going to be in deep crap.  I have looked at the stuff BOHN makes and am leaning toward that.  Any other thoughts or ideas???  I went and looked at Joe Rocket Ballistics 5.0 but there are no hip pads and that is a must with my leg looking like it does.  If you own something what do you like or dislike about them?  Textile or leather no matter, under $200 would be nice...

Thanx guys.

Dave

This is what I need to protect from the asphalt...

thigh.jpg

I really know that feeling but in my case it was a low side and my right knee. Three surgeries and a skin graft later, I still have a bum knee. I can't risk hitting it again so I bought a pair of TM Cortech waterproof overpants with great knee and hip armor. They're kinda warm in the heat but should give me pretty good protection in a get off. I can't find a model name anywhere on the tags but I've had them for four years and they're still in good shape, zippers, velcro and all. BTW, I had good leather on, just no armor. Learned my lesson for sure. Check out newenough.com

Next time we'll take your word for how bad it looks!

Not sure I have fully recovered, but definitely go for leather.

Trashed my Zuki Busa Leather jacket, ripped out the shoulder and the doc said the elbow pad likely saved me a busted elbow already broke my left one once, don't want to be doing that again, broke in my helmet and mangled the bike.. They stealership had some Cortech stuff but nothing with pads except in the knees. I poked around on new enough, maybe I will give them a shout...

Next time we'll take your word for how bad it looks!  

Not sure I have fully recovered, but definitely go for leather.
Hey I edited out the butt cheek... and that is one of the better looking pics. That bruise went from my ribs to my knee before it was done.

I have 3 sets of pants but have never "tested" them

I have "Alpine Bats" ($160 used) that seem a bit thin on the armor but have what I am going to guess is great road rash protection. They are a dedicated pant and so no jeans over or under. They have upgradeable armor and I may purchase it. You will need to carry your jeans elsewhere
smile.gif
Great stitching and well constructed, no velcro for knee pucks

First Gear overpant V2.0 ($200 new) These are my cold weather pants and have more padding than my Alpine pants and I can wear jeans under them.

This is also the set I had at Fall bash.. They also have a removable "thinsulate" liner. Easy on and easy off with zippered sides and front. Not the most "flattering" look but they seem to provide pretty good protection. Down side to these is that they are a bit warm when it gets over about 80 degrees w/o the liner.. With the liner, they are good down to the mid 30's for me on the road. The liner is a bit of a pain to take in and out as it uses velcro full length. (sort of a sticky situation)

Construction is all double stitched and I would give them a 9/10 and are my favorites

Malcom Smith: Full 1 piece cold suit..($250 new) really warm but really light on padding... probably last choice for safety but #1 for warm.. Suit is getting old but and so is going into retirement as soon as I get a jacket for the First Gear pant above..

Knee pucks don't matter for me just the hip padding. Does the first gear pair have them?

NewEnough as them all but the pictures of the FIRSTGEAR HT Air Overpant 2.0 are different looking.. not sure if they are a new style or old style.. Cyclegear.com has the same ones I do..

NewEnough as them all but the pictures of the FIRSTGEAR HT Air Overpant 2.0  are different looking.. not sure if they are a new style or old style..  Cyclegear.com has the same ones I do..
Have a pair of these and love 'em. Hard to find anything long enough for me, but its either these or my leathers when I ride.

I have tried and looked at 10 different pants. The shift havoc pants are by far the best overall design of protection, comfort, and style. They are cool in the summer, too.

fac_pic.jpg

Knee pucks don't matter for me just the hip padding. Does the first gear pair have them?
they have removable hip and knee armor.. is some type of high density foam.. If you do not have a cyclegear store to go to, I would be more than happy to send these to you to checkout.. (snow on ground here, busa stay warm)

I use adventure shorts while skating the ramps ;they protect the hips, thighs and tail bone. I fell about 10' while I was doing a 180 and landed on my tail bone. It hurt like hell but the padding helped to keep me from being seriously injured.

Go for leather w/ hip pad insert pockets so you can upgrade the armor. I have riding shorts I wear under my leathers that have built in hip pads as well. Try Moto-Liberty in Dallas - great assortment of gear.

Back