PAIR Mod, NOT removal

redliner100

Registered
sorry, search function is down or I would have searched. can't find the post I recently came across.

over the weekend I found a post of a pair valve mod on this forum where the hose running from the valve is removed at the airbox and routed to the crankcase vent. I am NOT referring to the PAIR removal frequently done with aftermarket exhaust installs. this is a re-routing of the long hose that connects to the PAIR pump (is it a pump or a valve?)

This presumably reduces crankcase pressure and has been reported to add 1-2 hp on a dyno.

is there any downside to doing this mod? don't know how strong the pair pump is. is this gentle suction?

I don't know if creating a vacuum in the crankcase can cause problems.

I'd really like to hear comments from individuals who logged some miles after this Mod to learn if there are other issues to consider.

This doesnt even make sense... why would you take the crank case breather hose and connect it to the pair valve? Crank case takes air in and the pair valve sucks air through it to put fresh air into the exhaust... wouldnt this suck on the crank case and wouldnt that be bad?

lurk.gif

The mod you are talking about is not popular. In theory, it is similar to the old scavenging crankcase evacuation systems some V8 hot rodders use. Vacuum in the crankcase (up to about 15 in.-Hg)is a good thing. Years ago, I asked about doing this mod. The thread pretty much died when JohnnyCheese replied that it was a bad idea. He didn't say why.

I've figured out some negatives. The PAIR valve is vacuum operated. (There may also be a solenoid opening/closing the vacuum signal to the PAIR valve. I can't remember and my service manual is at the shop.) If you only rerouted the hoses, then under little vacuum conditions such as WOT, your engine has NO ventilation, and would cost you HP. Also, if exhaust back pressure increases, the scavenging effect decreases, leaving you with little to no crankcase ventilation.

Karl

Redliner100, is this what you are looking for.

The draw from the pump will create negative pressure and will actually "help" the pistons rotate downward and in turn help seal the rings and prevent flutter at higher speeds.

CLARIFICATION - There will always be this confusion attached to the PAIR VALVE; there are two options available!

There is is only one 'Pair Valve' MOD!
There is only one 'Pair Valve' BLOCK-OFF!

They are not the same. They are both truly modification's, however, THE 'MOD' is a modification and re-routing of lines increasing the efficiency of the pump in reverse order and the 'Block-Off' is merely a removal of the whole system. If you install and "aftermarket" exhaust and do not block off and remap,, you will develop improper back pressure and most likely blow flames on throttle down decelerations.

1) Pair Valve Removal and Block Off (which is NOT the mod. It is simply a removal and blockage) Removal of known horsepower.

Step one; Remove all of the 'Pair Valve' system and block the four ports into the head and block the intake lead into the airbox. Done! Remap and you are set.

2) Pair Valve Crankcase Sucker ('PCS MOD')

Step one; Remove the larger line that is coming FROM the 'pair valve' that goes to the bottom of the air box (recirculating spent gasses back INTO the air/fuel system)

Step Two; Connect a male-to-male joint from the larger line from PV to a none-collapsible hose that you will then

Step Three; connect to the Crankcase vent where single hose was to bottom of air box.

Step Four; block with plugs/cap the inlet on the bottom of the airbox that the crankcase went too!

Actually, re-mapping is not imperative for this MOD! Although, if you are like me, always staying on top of the curve is best,, so re-map away, but again and some may disagree, but not absolutely necessary.

http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=44582.0

Pair "mod" will pull about 4 to 7 inches of vac. Nothing like the pumps but enough to make a difference. Several people have done the dyno test and most say anywhere from 1 to 5 HP. I'm sure it helps with the ring sealing and cuts the "pumping loss" somewhat.

I have seen the before and after dyno sheets on a 1397cc Hayabusa a few years back that showed increases of 5-6hp from hooking up the PCS MOD.

Back in early 2001 my friend Mark Feuerborn (Buster @ NorthWestDragBike ) while checking base numbers after a 1397 build had made his base run, ran the first set of numbers. While trying different maps, then thought it would be a good time to try routing the hoses from the 'Pair Valve' and to the Crankcase. While the dyno technician was out on a break,,, the tech returned and made another measured run, he was astounded and asked, "What did you do, Mark?!",,, "the numbers are notably higher!" Of course Mark showed him. He was totally surprised that the mere re-routing of hoses could yield suck increases!

After telling me this story, he helped me connect the lines up the way he had them to my,, then stock Hayabusa, and I could not believe the difference in performance. The front wheel came up with ease and the acceleration was much more crisp!

This is an 'Old Time Racer's' trick that has been around a long time, guys. No real science here. SchnitzRacing, for a while, sold a pump for about $235.00 that you can upgrade too and increase your hp gains. For whatever reason, they discontinued the sales.

Hmm, maybe people realized that they were selling what people already had on their bikes,,, for FREE!

Keep in mind - There is controversy associated with this MOD. Usually, those that choose to run with the PCS MOD usually keep to themselves and don't broadcast the fact that they DO run with it. The others,,, clearly do not.

I will be spending time on the dyno this Spring and plan to run base runs before the PCS hook up and after to have on paper showing the positive gains.

I will post the readings then for those who wish to see.

In the beginning of the Hayabusa when everyone was tweaking and going through the first discoveries this topic was exhausted on multiple boards. Time evolves, topics change, information gets lost.

The naysayers can say what they will, but the proof is there and has always been there. Throw away horsepower if you will. I refuse to give an edge away based off of fear!

I can walk anyone through the proper connections.

Expect 2-3 hp increase with stock - no matter what mods
Expect 4-6 hp increase with big-block

Back