packing for a trip

red1100cc

Registered
more of a rant than any kind of trip advice. :laugh:

the thread always begins "i am planning a trip, what should i pack?"

the replys usually say something like this

Motorcycle Camping Trip Motorcycle Travel Motorcycle Touring

well after riding over 250,000mi + i have to disagree with almost everything Ol Gary has to say.

forgit packing a bunch of junk you will never use, as well as the stuff you can get along the way.

that means ditch the soap, shampoo, almost all your toiletries save deodorant and a toothbrush. all that stuff will be provided for you along the way.

how you may ask? Motels! as much as you might want to camp, after a hard day in the saddle, nothing is better than a good warm room with a nice soft bed. Go get a room! then just call the front desk. they will hook you up with almost everything you need.
everything else can be acquired at the gas station.

you've worked all year to take this trip.
your a big boy with a credit card. Use it!

you will not need cooking supplies! i don't know how many miles i carried a coffie pot and mess kit sometimes 1/2 the kitchen with enough food for a month, and never used them, ever.

your not going to camp anyway..remember.
you have just ridden 300-1000mi. you probably haven't eaten well all day. treat yourself to a good meal at a nice Mom & Pop restaurant.

you will need a very small tool kit. a tire kit and some zip ties and jb weld. if anything is really broken, even a full snap-on tool kit wont fix it w/o new parts.
keep it small, especially if you have no idea how to work on your bike in the 1st place.

you might need a small bedroll, and tiny tent. i prefer a jungle hammock. you will probably never use it. but it is nice to know you can camp by your bike if you need/want to.

for extended trips you will need clothes. pack disposable clothing. old t-shirts, tube socks, and good but not pricey underwear, as you will be throwing these away as they become smelly. comfortable jeans; these you will keep so you might need a few pair, but never more than 4.
your outer gear will be all anyone sees for days anyway.

and that's where you need to concentrate. your riding gear. what you will be wearing 16hrs a day, every day.
now days 1/2 my kit is layers of riding gear.
cold weather coveralls
rain gear
warm weather riding gear.
dress in layers and get the best, most comfortable stuff you can find. leather, leather, leather, Kevlar, carbon fiber.
don't skimp here. you have a $10,000.00 bike. dump a few grand into gear.

to keep your bike safe at night, just roll it into the room.

:thumbs:

with this advice a person can travel the country with not much more than a backpack strapped on the back of the bike.
less time worrying about stuff, the more time enjoying life.

:rant:
i just thought Gary's article was a silly cookie cutter example of a "motorcycle touring article".
that, and the next time some asks this question, i can refer them to this thread. :semi:

here's a few pics :thumbs:

0716112004a.jpg

pics nov 2010 339.jpg

0717111230.jpg

very true... i found that the biggest thing to me was underwear and socks when road tripping haha but then again ive never done a huge trip bit wet socks suck

My peeps just turn their dirty clothing inside out and get a few more days wear out of them. Good write-up :thumbsup:

First aid kit somewhere in there :)

Wet gear

Warm gear

Cold gear

Small tool kit, anything big going to need new parts anyways. Good to have AAA

Small amount of food just to keep your energy up on the road.

As for food.. Just pull over some mom and pops place.

Bedding, small tent if have to use, but just get a room, best room are ones on 1st floor, with wide doors lol to get your bike inside

GPS

That's all for me :)

GREAT IDEA, red and thanks for sharing your tips/pointers. If I may humbly add a few of my own:
* I called my credit cards in advance that I will be on the road (so my card won't be flagged for suspicious activity when I gas up/eat/sleep in "new" places)
* portable/foldable bike stand (I have a PackJack), chain lube, rags
* spare KEYS and fuses. flash/headlight
* pain relievers/muscle relaxers (non-sedating)
* reflectorized vest/belts (in case you'll be riding at night)
* items I will need most (rain/cold gear, shield wipes, etc.) I pack last/near top of bags
* not for everyone but I pack a 5-gallon can of fuel for multi-day trips (see pic below and yes, that is a Harley in the background)

100_1898.jpg

i use socks and underwear for cleaning cloths when they get dirty and then throw them in the trash and buy more at the next Walmart...no need to pack a bunch that take up a lot of room

at some point, i have forgotten almost everything on one trip or another :laugh: i finally got serious and made an essential packing list that i can check off as i pack...the things i make sure i don't leave home without are my key, credit card, camera, and cell phone...just about anything else can be replaced on the road in an emergency :beerchug:

237937d1327019038-intersate-10-wind-imageuploadedbytapatalk1327016438_645509.jpg
237938d1327019038-intersate-10-wind-imageuploadedbytapatalk1327016530_840357.jpg

You guys are Breaking My Heart!! But You're Right!! I'm 1500 Miles into a 10,000 Mile Road trip. NYC to Miami Beach (I'm in Miami now) In a week I leave for Arizona then Las Vegas , L.A. then Route 66 to Chicago and then back to New York. (I have family in each of those places) Out of 9 days on the road, I Camped for three,(stayed in one place) Motels for the rest. Of course it was too cold to camp until Florida! While I really enjoy camping, admittedly it's tough to set up camp after a long day in the saddle, and then find food and start cooking. Then break it down and repack the next morning (takes me more then a hour!) ......just NOT feasable for one nights stay. Also I find myself wishing for a "Third Wheel Trailer" that I can't afford right now. Problem is, on a long trip, Motels & Restaurants every night, can get expensive. You find yourself riding longer then you want to, just to knock off a few more miles and maybe save one nights stay. You guys are obviously experienced, so any advice you've got with regard to "Budget Lodging" (Obviously camping is cheaper) would be much appreciated.
Damn! I really like camping!!

i use socks and underwear for cleaning cloths when they get dirty and then throw them in the trash and buy more at the next Walmart...no need to pack a bunch that take up a lot of room

at some point, i have forgotten almost everything on one trip or another :laugh: i finally got serious and made an essential packing list that i can check off as i pack...the things i make sure i don't leave home without are my key, credit card, camera, and cell phone...just about anything else can be replaced on the road in an emergency :beerchug:

I hope you don't use your dirty underwear on your helmet and shield?
May make for some blurry vision!

:laugh:

Russ good thoughts.

Ps...you all forgot to mention Shnizzles favorite road item. A GUN :)

237937d1327019038-intersate-10-wind-imageuploadedbytapatalk1327016438_645509.jpg
237938d1327019038-intersate-10-wind-imageuploadedbytapatalk1327016530_840357.jpg

You guys are Breaking My Heart!! But You're Right!! I'm 1500 Miles into a 10,000 Mile Road trip. NYC to Miami Beach (I'm in Miami now) In a week I leave for Arizona then Las Vegas , L.A. then Route 66 to Chicago and then back to New York. (I have family in each of those places) Out of 9 days on the road, I Camped for three,(stayed in one place) Motels for the rest. Of course it was too cold to camp until Florida! While I really enjoy camping, admittedly it's tough to set up camp after a long day in the saddle, and then find food and start cooking. Then break it down and repack the next morning (takes me more then a hour!) ......just NOT feasable for one nights stay. Also I find myself wishing for a "Third Wheel Trailer" that I can't afford right now. Problem is, on a long trip, Motels & Restaurants every night, can get expensive. You find yourself riding longer then you want to, just to knock off a few more miles and maybe save one nights stay. You guys are obviously experienced, so any advice you've got with regard to "Budget Lodging" (Obviously camping is cheaper) would be much appreciated.
Damn! I really like camping!!

:thumbs: awesome! looks like you packed for it.

every trip is different, and i pack way more than i listed. i have 18 pockets. every pocket has its things.
calling the credit card folks is way important!

lots of times i use an army duffel bag. it acts like a compression sack then you put straps on it.
the hammock helps when camping. cuts your tear down time more than in 1/2.

short story- i was riding with the Heathens last year up and back from RedLodge. i party late, sleep in, get woke up with exhaust by my head. "Get Up, Lets Roll! You Got 5min!"
it took 16 to get packed up, gear on, and down the road. ............. :whistle: i caught up. :laugh:

the more you camp. the faster you will become.

don't try to push too hard too far for too long w/o rest.

motels- find cheep and sleezy. look for dive bars. close by is a cheep place to stay. look for places you can roll your bike into. a Busa WILL fit through every door i have wanted to drive it through.
be a little sneaky. but pull on in. use a hand towel to wipe the bike down. take a shower. and crash out.
don't be afraid to sleep in your sleeping bag in the motel. :whistle:
you should be able to find a room for $25-$48 a night.

don't try to stick 10lbs of fun, in a 5lb bag. you will not be able to do everything you want to do on this trip. that's just the way it is. be cool with it and you will be happier.

it is totally worth it to go into debt to feed yourself and sleep well.

I hope you don't use your dirty underwear on your helmet and shield?
May make for some blurry vision!

:laugh:

Russ good thoughts.

Ps...you all forgot to mention Shnizzles favorite road item. A GUN :)

:poke: socks make my helmet smell funny. :laugh:

a gun is a good friend. not for "protection", but it sure makes a Feller feel more at ease while being a traveling stranger in a strange land.
besides, you never know when you will want to pull over and shoot something.

Thanx Russ. Especially love the Busa in the Motel Room! Been so wanting to do that! -Steve

A night or a week, it all fits in the bag on back.

IMG_0364.JPG

If I am camping a strap my bedroll (bag, pad, sack) in a drybag on the backseat.

The clothes I carry are all things that can by washed in the motel room sink and dried overnight.

Credit card does not take up any room at all.

Oh, and make a list before any trip, with what you need laid out in categories. For example, I have a section for clothes, electronics, paperwork/docs, tools and misc.

Then before you go, trim off the crap you really don't need.

And a water jug, or some other means to carry fluid.

I've got pen to paper right now planning a epic trip next year and agree whole heartedly! The factory tool kit has everything you need to get the bodywork off to those can be left out of an emergency tool kit but then how much can you really do? I'm a career mechanic so I'll carry more than most but I also will be very choosy in what I bring.

This is how I'm tackling my packing list along with some long distance trip tips I've learned through the years. Some are conventional, some I wonder why others don't. Also, different strokes for different folks.

One thing I'm going to carry is a board 3/4" thick that I'll cut to length to slip down the side of my saddle bags. That way if there's a curb at the hotel I need to hop I'll have it ready. Best part is it'll only take up 3/4" of space.

Rolling your clothes military style saves space, packs and organizes very easily. If your riding boots aren't comfortable to walk around in get some that are. That way when you get somewhere and want to see the sights you can wander around comfortably without having to carry extra shoes. I wear Tourmaster Flex gear, mesh with textile panels that zip on and off quickly and easily. Depending on the temps you'll encounter it could save you some room. I've also considered getting an Aerostich suit. They have a bunch of zip up vents and are supposedly pretty comfortable even in the heat.

A good GPS properly mounted, nearly priceless item today especially when you need to find a gas station ASAP. Saved me on an SS1000 ride a couple of years ago when after midnight I found a string of closed stations.

Extra shield for your helmet. Saw a guy clean his, snap it back on only to have it blow off 10 miles later. Mistakes happen and yeah, run over by a car and broke. Only carry one spare, even one shaded and one clear. Lose one even a shaded shield will be OK for some time at night until you can bed down. Pick another spare up later.

A Camelback or similar devise. Survival experts tells us that if you wait till you're thirsty it's too late, dehydration is setting in. Mine is a backpack style, saves room in the bags cause my drinks are on my back plus I have a little room for basics. Not much though, you don't want more than a few pounds hanging on your shoulders if you're going for long distance.

Ziploc bags big enough for your wallet, cell phone and anything else that shouldn't get wet. I just go ahead and bypass the middle man cause you never know when you're going to ride into rain so that stuff just lives in the bags. I'm back and forth about rain gear. My experience is that it just slows the water down but you still get wet.

Cash. Lots of folks don't carry cash anymore, myself included. But you never know when you'll need it and really how hard is it to carry a couple of hundred in cash for a trip?

Small led flashlights. Take up very little room and will save you. I have one on my keychain and one under the hump.

You'll spend more on food to cook than you will eating cheap at the right restaurants and I don't mean just McDonalds. You can get a 6" sandwich at Subway for $3.50, bag of chips and a drink for $5 for example. Lots of grocery stores have good sandwiches for cheap. Splurge on a good Mom and Pop as suggested once a day. Even at $10 a day for one really good meal it's $70-90 at the end of a week. You can also find decent hotels for $50ish a night as mentioned. Choice hotels tend to be nicer, least that's my experience. Name brand chains are generally decent since they do have to answer to someone. I'll agree, it's impossible to beat a good nights sleep in a real bed with a hot shower.

Take nothing you'll buy along the way. Like tshirts from places you visit? For every one you might buy that's one less to carry in the first place.

Carrying what you need is easy, it's figuring out what you will use that's hard. Carry what you will use, a few very basic medical supplies like a small first aid kit. Other than that if you decide you need it you can buy it or make do without it.

One thing I am on the wall about is Rain Gear. If I wake up in morning and its raining or about to, I stay put and dont travel. If the rain catches me on the road, i'm ususally soaked before i get a chance to put it on! Not sure it's worth half my Tail Bag to carry along Rain Gear.

I do HIDE a small pouch with a spare Key, some cash and a spare Credit card on the Bike. My thinking is, if I were mugged or just lost my wallet and keys, I wouldnt be stranded and broke in Bumble****!!

....and now if any "Org.sters" need to borrow a few bucks, they can just find my Bike, search for my "Secret Stash" and help thenselves!!

I've learned that gloves are worthless in the rain. Just go and buy the cheapest ones at a store, wear them for the day, and then start the next day with a fresh pair. Nothing worse that starting your day off with wet gloves.

I need to append my earlier post. If you want to do a camping motorcycle trip then go to REI or Bass Pro, etc. and pick up mid grade hiking gear, bedding, tent, mess kit. Get the best stuff you can afford especially if you're going to use it regularly. Hiking gear is durable, light weight and packs very neatly since it's meant to be carried on your back. I saw a mess kit that nested together complete with the stove and fuel and was about 2/3 the size of a football.

Also camp out in your backyard to make sure you're familiar with setting it all up and potentially in the dark. Plus it's fun!

Back