Overheating issue

Cecil_Stringer

Donating Member
Registered
Here's the issue.... the bike will be operating just fine.

Once it get's near the mid point on the temp gauge, it sky-rockets (50/50 mix of coolant and water).
The fan comes on, but it struggles to keep it out of the red.
If I am moving, it is not an issue.
If I am in traffic... it gets real hot.
I since wired the fan to a toggle and have been being proactive, but it is treating the symptom, vice truly identifying the root cause.

I put an IR temp gun on the radiator when it was running hot.
The top area was 190, and the bottom was only 130 degrees.

I validated that the water pump was functioning... it was cherry... looked like brand new.
I replaced the thermostat... no impact.
I also did the burping thing a couple of times.

Thinking there's a blockage, possibly some pinched areas not allowing the water to flow.
The existing radiator looks questionable.

The fender previously would make contact when it was strapped.
I have since trimmed the fender, but the damage has already been done.

Any ideas?
Do you think this is likely a radiator issue?

Thanks again guys.

Probably could pull the rad and take it to a radiator shop. They can clean them out. I don't think any of the flush kits will work on a Busa, because there is no heater hose to put the T in.

Year? Stock exhaust? Power commander? Recent mods/changes?
ahhh... stock exhaust?? dood... look at the pic
smile.gif
if thats stock them I'M MISSING SOME STUFF!
cool.gif

Seems to me you have a gremlin.

If your radiator is reading a SURFACE of 190* and your gauge is indicating WAY higher...  Something is up. Usually a radiator surface reading is within 15-10* of actual coolant temp.
However, looking at that rad I'd replace it anyways.
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|Dopesick Busa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147659788 -->

That rad is beat up...I've been worried about mine because the metal pieces of the strap hit it when its loose but yours looks like it came from the junk yard...
biggrin.gif

I had the same problem. Drain the system. fill with water and some cleaner. Run till the gauge hits the mid point. Kill, drain again. and refill with new 50/50 mix. When you drain the water and stuff out you will most likely see a bunch of build up come out. Looks white and chunky.

Once I did that, ran like a champ.

I used Lime Away or Lime Out once, it got lots of stuff out. If I remember you have to remove the thermostat because it will toast it. Used it in honda v65 few years back.

Back