09 Busa overheating..Unable to burp

tommyv

Registered
So I bought a 09 Busa last year. only rode it around the block a few times. Put it on the road last week, and within 5 min she started overheating. I drained the system, and replaced the thermostat. Ive followed the burping instructions. Fan comes on as it should. The top hose gets hot, but the bottom radiator hose doesnt heat up. Does it sound like I have air trapped somewhere? Thanks in advance!

I just leaned it way over again. When I run it with the radiator cap off, the coolant pushes out of the radiator. I assume its air leaving the system, just want to be sure before I waste all the coolant.

When u installed the thermostat was the vent hole up top? I can't even begin to say how many engines I've installed and never had an issue with burping.

sounds like it could be air in the system, but also a t-stat. are you 100% sure it was installed the facing the correct way? I'd double check that, also when running it to burp the air out of the system, try squeezing the lower hose gently to help force the air out.

-D

Yes it was installed correctly. I just refilled, and its still overheating. Ugh...Im at a loss on what to do. I have probably attempted to burp it 20 times.

Air Bleeding From the Cooling Circuit
1) Remove the right cowling. Refer to “Exterior Parts
Removal and Installation
in Section 9D (Page 9D-
14)”.
2) Add engine coolant up to the radiator inlet.
3) Support the motorcycle upright.
4) Slowly swing the motorcycle, right and left, to bleed
the air trapped in the cooling circuit.
5) Add engine coolant up to the radiator inlet.
6) Start up the engine and bleed air from the radiator
inlet completely.
7) Add engine coolant up to the radiator inlet.
8) Repeat the procedures 5) to 6) until no air bleeds
from the radiator inlet.
9) Lift and support the fuel tank. Refer to “Fuel Tank
Removal and Installation
in Section 1G (Page 1G-
9)”.
10) Loosen the air bleeder bolt (1) and check the engine
coolant flows out.
11) Tighten the air bleeder bolt securely.
12) Close the radiator cap securely.
13) After warming up and cooling down the engine
several times, add the engine coolant up to the full
level of the reservoir

Well brother it sounds like it's time to get her checked out by a good known mechanic, hopefully it's not the head gasket.

It ended up being a broken shaft that connects the water pump to the oil pump. All fixed and off to the track tomorrow.

I'm glad you got it sorted out but it's a shame the dude sold you the bike like that. I think this is the first time I have heard of this.

Back