Opinions on plugging a tire

OB_cbxchris

Registered
Just got my blue busa back together...92 miles and dam a roofing nail through a hard to find 200 TX 25....I`ve plugged many tires before but whats the opinion on a busa. If I do plug it I will dismount tire and put a pull through plug in it and rebalance....lets hear it...I`ve had a couple say no way and several say its no big deal. It would be nice to at least make it until the new pilot sport 200`s get out. Thanks for the reply`s!

Depends on how you ride. If you run top end, or anywhere close to the Busa's top end, I say it would get spit out.

A flat tire at 190mph...no thanks.

As long as its a straight thru hole and not near sidewall I'd run it. I'm on a D207 right now that I salvaged at a near by shop for nothing.I had a buddy put a plug/patch in,works great, ran 9.8 @143 and 10,500 in sixth no problems. Even if it didn't take I think it would only leak not burst. And only use the pull thru type you mentioned. good luck!

Ran 130 mph on one of the push in type plugs. No problem.....yes, it was stupid and I would say no to anyone else that would even think of attempting such a stupid thing.
They don't call me Falcon Fool for nothing!

You asked....
Pass. It is your *** on the line. If it causes a crash - how many pieces of plastic or parts do you buy for $170? And all the painstaking detail you have gone through on your bike?
I have a 190 D207 in my attic with a hole in it with less than 600 miles on it; just can't bare to pitch it. These tires are THIN.

Although opinions are like ***holes. Good luck!

I found a good plug kit on the net, it has a gun which a mushroom shaped rubber plug is inserted into the tire from the outside.

I would suggest this as only a quick cure till you get a tire, and a great product for the bike on a long trip. Small, compact, sturdy and it really works.

The site had a lot of decent write ups from magazines and upon delivery "it delivered" the tire fix in just a few minutes.

It will work on dirt bikes, streetbikes and automobiles. There are differant sized plugs and reamers, glue, lube, and insert tool (like a caulking gun) all packed in a nice sturdy soft bag.

For the $43 it could save your *** some day on a trip.

On a long trip it will be packed right in with the "Quickstand". Great product Larry!

There is also a CO2 inflate kit offered as well.

-------------------------------------------

Stop & Go International 815-455-9080 www.stopngo.com

[This message has been edited by KawAbuser (edited 07 July 2000).]

I'm on my fourth tire on Ol Blue, two of which were due to a roofing nail and (last friday)a screw. I bought a new tire both times. I ride 160- 180mph almost every day at some point, and I damned sure don't want to have a crash because I didn't replace a tire like I knew I should. They won't "guarantee" them past 70 after a plug and that just doesn't hack it for the worlds fastest bike. I try and pretrip my total motorcycle each time before riding, so how could I ignore a known hazard like it didn't exist (to my way of thinking)? And even if it slow leaks it can be still dangerous. I felt the rear of it sliding around on a long sweeper on the interstate which I was covering much slower than normal. With a faster speed, or a slightly faster leak, and I might have lost it on that turn and crashed instead of just scaring the hell out of myself. It was completely flat within five more minutes! So, IMHO, don't gamble- bite the bullet and buy a new tire!!

I hate plugs. Why risk your ascend to try to save a few bucks. That said, I found a need for tire plugs this weekend. 15 minutes after fueling up and checking tire pressures, I was railing in the middle of nowhere with an R1 and a TL-R. I started having trouble on my downshifts, as the rear would step out a bit. It started wallowing a little when I would bank and crank. I figured it was the wind, or road undulations, or tires overheated, or I was too tired or something. I finally figured it out as I reeled them back in on a 190mph straight. The rear end felt loose and DING! a little light bulb appeared above my head as I remembered that sensation. The last time I felt that was when I had a clutch explosion in my race car and cut one rear slick with shrapnel, and ran over my own oil. The other rear tire had 7lbs air pressure. So anyway, I pulled the Hayabusa over and stopped as the last of the air leaked out. No cell service. My riding buddys disappeared in the distance, thinking that I was giving them a head start again. DOH! I was saved by a plug kit and a CO2 cartridge. My new rear tire is on order.

Thanks...how about the PJ-1 stuff(balancer-sealer) you see out...again some swear by it...some cuss it...especially the guy changing the tire...let you know what I do....

I have used patch-plugs three times with no problems and one of them last 6k miles. It is a Plug with a patch hooked on the end. That was on a ZX-11 and I topped it out several times but If your are going to top out a Busa often, I wouldn't risk it, I think too much heat for the patch/plug, of course, I may be wrong, I know I don't want to hit the ground at 190mph!

For the time being...at least until the arrival of the 200 pilots I used a balkamp(napa) patch with a plug made on it...it has a metal needle with rubber plug connected to go through hole and a patch made on it. So it is plugged and patched from the inside. I think this will hold for the short term...no top end runs. Let us know when the pilots are here! Thanks for all the reply`s...makes a guy think......

LA I bought a bike from a guy that had it serviced at Blais...he swore by them...are they that good. Just curious....we met half way for the delivery...I`m a good 15 hours from you.

I don't trust patching a tire on anything over a 750...just too much to lose.

My two cents...

BigDog

Bruce bohannon how much for that dunlop tire? I'm in need,nearly broke and dont mind plugging it. PLEASE?

[This message has been edited by Mabusa (edited 08 July 2000).]

CBXCHRIS...... Yes, I would have to say that Kevin Blais runs probably the premier bike shop in the South Florida area.
The work they do there is top notch and when you drop your bike off you know some yahoo aint going to be working on it and wondering where that last bolt goes.
I've watched them work on bikes and they do the little things that are important to me, like drape a shop towel over the frame while they work on it to keep from scratchin your frame. They always return your bike spotless too...no fingerprints or grease.
Just the little things that so many people dont do right, they do.
The only draw back is that they are so freakin busy all the time, its hard to just walk in and get something done, you'll end up waiting.

Back