Opinions on cylinders?

liass44

Registered
Opinions on these cylinders? Came off my 2011 turbo. The pistons were slightly melted at the top ring land between cylinders (not intake or exhaust side), I removed the small amount of piston material from the cylinder walls with acid and this is what I am working with. There is zero scoring that can be felt with a finger nail with the exception of 2 small horizontal marks that are directly adjacent to each other (cylinder 2 and 3). It can barely be felt. I was hoping to stay at STD bore size for strength purposes. Reading online people are saying to deglaze the entire cylinders with muriatic acid rather then a light hone.. I will be switching to turbo pistons. With turbo pistons is the piston physically shorter or is it just deep dished? The horizontal marks are at the top of the stroke where the top ring land stops, they almost look like cracks??. Should I just bore out to the next size or is it worth it trying to stay at STD bore? Thank you. The horizontal cracks can be seen in pictures 2 and 4

image1 (6).jpeg

image2 (2).jpeg

image0 (8).jpeg

image0 (7).jpeg

image1 (5).jpeg

image0 (6).jpeg

Yes I am just going to either get it replated if possible or just have it bored up to the next size.
Hi. How much boost do you plan to run? I would only run stock bore with a turbo. All so I would get a gen 1 block as the gen 2 blocks crack. I had JE pistons make me a set of custom pistons for my turbo, but you will not need anything like that as I plan to make over 800+ HP.

Hi. How much boost do you plan to run? I would only run stock bore with a turbo. All so I would get a gen 1 block as the gen 2 blocks crack. I had JE pistons make me a set of custom pistons for my turbo, but you will not need anything like that as I plan to make over 800+ HP.
Michael,

Enough to get to 350rwhp on pump gas on a rcc stage 1 turbo. Will be going with the RCC ultra plenum. I have read about gen 2 blocks being prone to cracking once at 84mm. I am sending the block to USChrome to have them replate on std bore if possible. If not hopefully they can just bore to 83mm and be good. The bike probably won't see much drag strip action, just texas highways. Out here in dallas our highways are straight and long and it's not uncommon to hold it WOT in 6th for miles.. On a stock busa that is lol. With rods/pistons , rcc ultra and a good tune I'm hoping she won't blow apart on some long pulls. Is that asking too much on 93 fuel? We have a lot of e85 around here and I ran it on my high compression evo 9 on 45psi at 1000hp and it was great, any opinions on tuning the bike for e85?? 800 hp ? Hope your shoulder sockets are strong and your heart :shocked:. I may have some more questions during this process mind if I shoot you a pm? Thanks

Michael,

Enough to get to 350rwhp on pump gas on a rcc stage 1 turbo. Will be going with the RCC ultra plenum. I have read about gen 2 blocks being prone to cracking once at 84mm. I am sending the block to USChrome to have them replate on std bore if possible. If not hopefully they can just bore to 83mm and be good. The bike probably won't see much drag strip action, just texas highways. Out here in dallas our highways are straight and long and it's not uncommon to hold it WOT in 6th for miles.. On a stock busa that is lol. With rods/pistons , rcc ultra and a good tune I'm hoping she won't blow apart on some long pulls. Is that asking too much on 93 fuel? We have a lot of e85 around here and I ran it on my high compression evo 9 on 45psi at 1000hp and it was great, any opinions on tuning the bike for e85?? 800 hp ? Hope your shoulder sockets are strong and your heart :shocked:. I may have some more questions during this process mind if I shoot you a pm? Thanks
Hi. I would only run 82mm bore gen 1 block. I have seen E 85 at the pump from E 65 or so I would trust it at all. I will ride my bike on the street too. I will have a tune for pump 93 but only on low boost. VP X98 mostly on street. For race in gas classes VP Q16 and fuel classes VP M1. I run a Marine billet stroaker crank, C P Corrillo custom rods for 1000HP and 13500 RPM over run to 14200 RMP. My motor was over $20,000.00 in parts.

standard cyl.s & pistons again - drilling up your "crap" to next / over size may cause issues with the head gasket as i had now two times with the 83mm bored turbo of my buddy

my hint was to have a look at ebay´s - sometimes you can find, at a reasonable price, standard cyl.s & pistons in best conditions / with very low milage there

and have an eye on the fuel - for my eyes this motor didn´t get enough.

control the head with a "hair-straight-edge / hair-ruler"
if it is 100% straight
same with the "new" block

Hi. I would only run 82mm bore gen 1 block. I have seen E 85 at the pump from E 65 or so I would trust it at all. I will ride my bike on the street too. I will have a tune for pump 93 but only on low boost. VP X98 mostly on street. For race in gas classes VP Q16 and fuel classes VP M1. I run a Marine billet stroaker crank, C P Corrillo custom rods for 1000HP and 13500 RPM over run to 14200 RMP. My motor was over $20,000.00 in parts.
Yes Michael I know e85 is often e65. I had an ethanol content analyzer on my evo and Kroger always has the best ethanol and it’s usually only e80. I always tuned on E60 just to play it safe

Back