One Bad Motorcycle

:drinka:Let that little monster loose on da' street---it's hard to imagine the acceleration of: a bike with a hp/ weight ratio like Raineys

It truly is amazing to listen to the conversations....two examples=
My buddy, over coffee in Wayne's kitchen, asks Kenny Roberts Sr., "Kenny, I know you've been asked this a thousand times, but what was it like to ride that TZ750 on a dirt track?"
So Kenny laughs and describes how a motorcycle can dig a trench at 110 mph!
Another one is...hangin in the kitchen again....the phone rings, Wayne is talking to someone named "Bruce"......he says, "sure Bruce, you can stay here when you arrive".
He hangs up, looks at us and says, "that was Bruce Brown (Endless Summer, On Any Sunday, etc.)he's coming up to the awards ceremony tomorrow night".

It's unbelievable, the next night I'm at this awards thing sipping Merlow, turn to an older distinguished gentleman and introduce myself...."Hi I'm Doyle Smith", he shakes my hand and says, "hello, I'm Dan Gurney". OMG! If anybody knows the early history of international Gran Prix roadracing....he's a living legend! So I tell him how, when a kid, my dad used to take me to see him race the early exotics....I'm sure he's never heard that before.
Anyways, it's a fun event each year and thanks to my Busa brothers for letting me share some of it with you all. Raydog

Wow, the man who made AAR 'Cuda a legend, AND Wayne, AND Roberts Sr.:bowdown::bowdown:
Thats what I call fast company! Thanks for sharing:thumbsup: I can barely imagine what it would be like to ride a bike like that-150 MPH power wheelies on tap, OMG ::11:shocked::super:

BTW, I just caught your question about the Matris damper- Going on 3 years now,only trouble was it broke the little pin that holds the stem bracket centered to the triples. Just go up to a 3/16" pin, after that, love it!!

Last edited:
I didn't know your were a celebrity Doyle, very cool :thumbsup:
Oh? and the year on that bike is?

That thing needs a tag an a headlight:laugh:

284 lbs 190 rwhp............never mind tags optional :poke:

:rofl::rofl:

Wow, the man who made AAR 'Cuda a legend, AND Wayne, AND Roberts Sr.:bowdown::bowdown:
Thats what I call fast company! Thanks for sharing:thumbsup: I can barely imagine what it would be like to ride a bike like that-150 MPH power wheelies on tap, OMG ::11:shocked::super:

Exactly, in my polite eavesdropping I now know that the 500's, when crossing the finish line @ 140-150 (you know how they go through the gears on the back wheel when way in front of 2nd place) ARE LESS THAN 1/2 THROTTLE!

OK, ONE more story....Wayne asked me to transport his 1991 #1 bike to a country club. His house is way higher than his garage and he's in a wheelchair so he has this cool "S" turn walkway that rambles down to the workshop and car parking, etc. So I wheel the specimen out of his living room and start pushing it.....notice how far away my truck was.....so I RODE IT down the twisties! (coasting of course) the amazing thing felt like a 125 dirt bike in mass and the steering only goes about 5 degrees to each side! That amazed me (I guess it's not for Starbuck's parking lots). OK, I'm done. Doyle

P1000323.JPG

Raydog, I love that technicolor shirt you have on...Reminds me of the '60s...BTW, nice bike!

I bought it at Earth Day in an attempt to rekindle my free spirited hippie youth
(it hasn't worked yet). Doyle

It happens that a lifelong buddy of mine (went to high school, became cops in LA together, etc.) lives in Carmel (next to Laguna Seca) and is a close friend of Wayne's. The great thing about it is each year at the Moto GP I find myself surrounded by people like Checa, Russell, Roberts, Schwantz (you guys know the names). It's hard to just act like "this is a typical race weekend" when I've worshipped these guys for so many years!
My next move is to ask Wayne, "hey Wayne, can I use that bike for just one track day please?"
Doyle

You are lucky! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

STOP REPEATING THE SAME POST THE BIKE IS JUST ANOTHER BIKE SO WHAT:rofl:

Oh yeah? Well here's a picture of my next story...did I ever tell you about the time I helped Sochero Honda put a motor on a bicycle back in Japan in the 50's?

P1000352.JPG

Looks Like Doyle Found his MAN CARD Today :laugh:

I am Not Jealouse or anything :whistle:

And I thought One Night Drinkin with George Lucas made me Famouse :moon:

Back