Old Tires

Good information.
What we need to do is get some of the "cryptic codes" so we can tell what the manufacture date of the tire is.
Anybody know what these codes are or where to get them?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

Whoa!
check your policies
"If a tire is replaced with a lower speed rating than originally specified by the vehicle manufacturer, then this may render the vehicle insurance invalid."
i used to sell tires @ sears auto center.
sometimes cheapskates in 'stangs or t/a's would come in and want cheaper tires than the required z rating (v or even h) and we would only go down 1 rating.
their retort was "but i dont drive "x" miles per hour, why do i need that type of tire"
whistling.gif

it also has to do with cornering and stopping

Good information.
What we need to do is get some of the "cryptic codes" so we can tell what the manufacture date of the tire is.
Anybody know what these codes are or where to get them?
Look for the four digit code.
First two ## are the week it was made
Last to ## are the year it was made

1206 = 12th week of 2006 manufacture date.

I read that bike tires should not be older than two years old when put into service. That is one good reason why to purchase tires locally instead of mail order. Ever wonder why internet sales can offer great prices on tires? I use to purchase tires online but now I walk into a store and check out the manufacture date.

Good info; I'd never have thought that tires 'expired' except when there was evidence of dry-rot..

Back