OIL

hayabusa_83

Registered
its that time again, and i wanna try something new...
i tried the silkolene last change and was very disappointed! lots of drivetrain chatter, rough shifts, etc. anyway what does every1 use, and how do you like it? anyone use car oil? i was told it was bad for busas b/c of the wet clutch setup...is this true? this came from a mechanic, but not a biker. i ran valvoline supersyn (synthetic car oil) once and didnt have any problems... your input is greatly appreciated! mobil 1? spectro? amsoil? redline? ETC!
brian~

$9/QT wow thats like a $50 do it yourself change including filter!!!
wow.gif

Mobil 1 MX4T for me. That would be the black cap. Ran it in my '03 1000 and now in the Busa with nothing bad to say. Can pick it up at your local Wally world for just under $7.00 a quart.

Amsoil 10W40 synthetic. Switched to this from dino at 2000 miles; I've got less than 100 miles on it but so far the engine runs a a little smoother, it shifts a little smoother.

I plan to give a full ester synthetic a try, preferably a polyol ester if I can find one that's JASO MA/ API SF/SG rated.

idea.gif

I'm using Red Line 10-40. No problems here..been using it for 21K miles now....with regular changes of course.

$9/QT wow thats like a $50 do it yourself change including filter!!!
wow.gif
NA.. I just looked it up.  MCFQT     SAE 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil: 1-quart bottle .

My price is 6.05   If you sign up as a prefferd customer or dealer you get a descent discount. + it gets shipp to your door. What oil where you lookin at.
imupgraded to 20W-50 now... alot thicker, good for high-revving machines! (nitrousjunkie's words!)

hayabusa_83- I posted months ago that silkolene did not look that great

I just install Amsoils new bike oils since it looks pretty darn good!
I posted on it before too:

<!--EDIT|gsxr1100
Reason for Edit: None given...|1129930132 -->

hayabusa_83- I posted months ago that silkolene did not look that great
Yeah Yeah
biggrin.gif
and I posted that you cannot judge an oil by a virgin analysis and that the calcium you were condemning to be low was also used synergysticly with another detergent called magnesium .

Here's proof in the pudding on the Silkolene that I already posted . My opinion is it's a much better additive formula and base oils than what appears to be just a diesel engine oil sold by Amsoil .

13 months and 3800 miles in a ZX-9R - it just don't get much better .

Wear metals
Iron 7
Aluminum 16
Copper 9
Lead 2
Tin 1
Nickel 2

Additives
Silicone 11 - defoament plus dirt ingestion
Barium 0
Moly 158
Calcium 1917
Magnesium 315
Phosphorus 1186
Zinc 1257
Viscosity 14.23
TBN 6.50

Where is the rest of the oil test? Where is solids (NOX and OXD), soot, TAN etc?

Based on your test and low TBN & low Ca I would not say “My opinion is it's a much better additive formula and base oils than what appears to be just a diesel engine oil sold by Amsoil .â€￾ I was running their diesel oil in my F350 Powerstroke and the ZDDP and CA were much higher over 11K drains.And I am sure you know diesel are much harder on oil then a gas bike? Bikes will shear the oil quicker but diesels will kill the adds quicker. Plus the TBN was around the same in my 7.3L Powerstroke. The oil was around $15 per gallon also.

I had over 1,700 miles more then you on my gsxr using there 20w-50 and the numbers look better. Are you sure you want to rethink your “it just don't get much better .â€￾
biggrin.gif

Are you sure you want to rethink your “it just don't get much better .â€￾
biggrin.gif
Yup . And I still don't like Amsoils formula which is known to be  a diesel engine oil formulated to handle large loads of diesel soot in diesel engines for long periods of time .

Last I saw , most of us were burning gasoline in our Hayabusa's and other bikes
biggrin.gif
and now , your trying to compare a GSXR engine to a Kawasaki's metalurgy and build type . No can be the thought to try and directly do that and near everyone in the oil industry that I know agree's , and same with trying to judge by a new oil analysis . All engines have distinctive wear metal signatures and further one cannot compare one engine of the same kind to another because of the many variables .

I'll take a formula exacted for max protection in a high power density engine anyday over a diesel engine oil in my bikes and race engines .

BTW , you do know that the different ZDDP's , even though depleted can still show up in spectro analysis even though they have become worthless and roaming around in the engine....don't you ? And the TBN you knocked , thats very very good ending number considering TBN means more in the diesel engine field than gas engines and thats why TBN is even an option with analysis . That oil is a gasoline engine oil first and foremost but yet the TBN ended higher than the Valvoline bike oil starts at just for example along with same for near all the over the counter passenger car oil and maybe even Amsoils group III fake synthetic 7500 series car oils . Gas engine oils don't need hi-starting TBN . If it's comes inherently with how it's additised so be it but don't beleive me , call Dave at Redline and ask him .

It's been fun but it's the weekend , see you on Monday
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|mountainmotor
Reason for Edit: "Typo's"|1129934371 -->

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Back