Oil cooler delete

Bernard

Registered
I'm seeing that the oil cooler is eliminated on some turbo setups. If it is removed for that application is there a reason to have it anyway. I use Mobil 1 15-50 and live in SoCal.

mainly for in traffic use to keep the oil cool. i would guess 90 percent of turbo busas do not keep the oil cooler.

Most get rid of the cooler for clearance,even on the kits where the cooler can be used clearance is tight and your very limited on how far you can lower the bike.The good thing is it only drops the oil temp a little bit which helps if your riding long distances and you dont change the oil all the time,but I run top shelf Oil and change it every 2k so problems really dont come up without the cooler in place.There are other options out there for oil coolers that you can make fit but they are pretty expensive and don't really do you alot of good unless your land speed racing.

for LSR I still have the cooler mounted but a flat plate covering the outside of it to prevent the air from flowing through it. No adverse effects to the oil temp snice they're really short blasts (time duration wise). In the winter, on the streets, I would block/cover it also. The cold air brings the oil temps and coolant temp waaay down while riding.

since the late 70's when oil coolers started showing up on bikes, most tests have shown little or no effect from them.. I am sure they do not hurt a thing but here in the midwest where a hot day might be in the 90's and is more likely to be in the 70's, it looks like extra plumbing to me.. Now in Phx?

If Suzuki felt they could provide a reliable Hayabusa without spending the extra money for an oil cooler, they would have.

For a drag only bike, oil cooler shouldn't be necessary; for a turbocharged street-driven 'busa, I would definitely keep the oil cooler.

Blue1

If Suzuki felt they could provide a reliable Hayabusa without spending the extra money for an oil cooler, they would have.

For a drag only bike, oil cooler shouldn't be necessary; for a turbocharged street-driven 'busa, I would definitely keep the oil cooler.

Blue1
you have to remember that suzuki has specific reliability constraints to hit.

I'm sure if you ran your bike non stop, for 10,000 miles, in very high temps, with high humidity, low air flow, high rpms, high load, (whatever other worse case scenerios there are) then the oil cooler is needed for reliability. At least for the warranty period.

Blue1
I've ran my street driven turbo busa for over 3 yrs in 90+ heat with no issues. I run mobil 1 15-15 oil and change it every 3k miles and have never had any motor issues.

Back