Off idle death

OB_Snag

Registered
My son is looking at a 94 600 Katana so he can ride with me on my Busa. He has found what looks like a great buy, but there is one issue that I need some advice on (I'm an accountant, not a mechanic). The bike has been sitting for a year, they used gasoline perservative when they put it away and then put some fresh gas in to sell it. When we looked at it, it initially would not idle below 1,000 and would instantly die when the throttle was blipped. After a brief test run, the bike seems to idle properly and does not die when the throttle is blipped. Are there idle (low speed) jets and is it possible that they were simply plugged? Bike runs fine and pulls well now.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Yo Snag:

I bought a bike that had been stored 6 years: had to clean the carbs, re-prime-paint the internal gas tank from corrosion;

this is probably a good bike, just need to look at the cost to do the carbs and be sure to have the gas tank evaluated for rust;

[This message has been edited by AQUADIOSMED (edited 12 June 2000).]

exactly the culprit.the pilot jets are small and due to chemical seperation from sitting and sometimes even organic growths you get this stuff sucked into those smaller jets.simply remove the float bowls and the pilot jets and clean and blow through these and you should be fine.be sure to blow through transfer tubes and lines to remove anything from them or you may get blockage again.use an inline fuel filter also.

Back