Off-Center Rear Tire with Extended Swingarms?

SavoBusa

Registered
I heard or read somewhere that when you install an extended swingarm kit, the rear tire becomes off center a bit from the front. Anyone know if that is true? I was thinking about getting a 240 kit from TracDynamics for my '08 Busa.

Funny you should mention that, I just installed extensions on my 07, ( with help from my ORG buddies of course ) and I did notice the wheel sits to the left just a little more than it did. Chain guard needed a little modifying to keep it off the tire. Next time I remove the rear wheel I will try and figure out why, but as for now doesnt seem to be an issue.

mine doesnt seem to be off center but with a 240 kit it does offset a little

funny you should mention that, i just installed extensions on my 07, ( with help from my org buddies of course ) and i did notice the wheel sits to the left just a little more than it did. Chain guard needed a little modifying to keep it off the tire. Next time i remove the rear wheel i will try and figure out why, but as for now doesnt seem to be an issue.

keep me in the loop on this one . I'm getting ready to do mine in two weeks or so . Never heard or read of this .???

Extended swingarms are centered, including those with extensions. If not, there is something wrong.

That being said, fat tire kits (usually 240mm) do generally offset the wheel to the right so the chain won't hit the tire's added width. There are ways around this but to keep the kits cheap, they generally ignore this offset. I think the offset is 1/4" to 1/2" or so.

Larger kits (300mm+) use jack shafts (added sprockets and chains) to move the drive mechanism out far enough to clear the fat tire. Another method is to use an offset sprocket style kit which doesn't require the jackshaft, but does require a sprocket cover that can support the new offset sprocket in the front.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Good explanation.:thumbsup:

Extended swingarms are centered, including those with extensions. If not, there is something wrong.

That being said, fat tire kits (usually 240mm) do generally offset the wheel to the right so the chain won't hit the tire's added width. There are ways around this but to keep the kits cheap, they generally ignore this offset. I think the offset is 1/4" to 1/2" or so.

Larger kits (300mm+) use jack shafts (added sprockets and chains) to move the drive mechanism out far enough to clear the fat tire. Another method is to use an offset sprocket style kit which doesn't require the jackshaft, but does require a sprocket cover that can support the new offset sprocket in the front.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Thanks BBBUSA! That makes sense! Would someone be able to tell the offset? I mean, does it affect handling? What about high speed? Any issues there?

Back