Odd Work Hours

My official hours are from 730 to 430 m-f....but i am an IT guy so honestly i work 24/7. I get calls and requests 24/7 all the time.

I work more than I want to and less than the boss wants me to.
Can't wait to be a "Recovering Workaholic"
Soon, I hope!

I was self employed for a while. Fancied something a little difference and I like a challenge.

Subcontracted to a guy doing traffic monitoring systems. Very trick electrics and them for the Government / Traffic Dept. measure vehicles speed / weight etc. a lot of the work was only permitted in low traffic times.

Wasn't unusual to get up at midnight to drive across the city to do a 1 hour job and go back to bed.

Wasn't unusual the drive a pick up and trailer load of gear from Brisbane to Albury (900 miles) to do a 4 hour job at night.

Had another job working in a vehicle yard. Working 8 hour days, 7am to 3pm.
Quite normal to be told "here's the keys to a pick up, it needs to be in Rockhampton before 5am" (about 400 miles away) and get a flight back.

Done lots of other similar jobs.
Really does suit me.

Currently back to a boring 7am to 5pm Mon to Fri and as many Saturdays as I can get.
At 52 I'm starting to find it hard but I have a 2 year plan before I sell up and start the next less stressful stage of my life.

Last edited:
I'm not terribly surprised that so many here work such odd hours.

The worst for me is the 2 weeks out of 10 which I get the privilege of spending on call and having no idea what hours I will be working.

Back