nitrous kits question

Nicholas

Registered
ive been reading alot of the threads in this section and last year i bought a cold fusion kit.. 2lb bottle excc... whats the major differences in the brands when it comes to the simple dry kit?

oh and another question, can Co2 tanks be used as nitrous tanks? like the c02 tanks used in paintball?

Yes a Co2 bottle can be used. Change the bottle valve. Solenoids quality will vary. My opinion is NX has the best all around noids.

there are only a few manufacturers of the "hard parts" like solenoids, jets and nozzles. most of the companies that sell "kits" buy product from them and repackage it. I have used the Cold Fusion kits, they are good stuff.

the Cold Fusion kit was basic all you need, the only weak spot for me was the poly lines. I used the poly lines for 2 seasons, but then I made the switch to braided lines. Lots of guys use the poly lines, I just could not get them to work.....

Poly lines have different psi ratings. The ones that I supply with my kits are 750psi. Others have 150 psi. There is a big difference.

I have nothing against using poly lines....I just have a hard time with them. It is much easier for me to run braided lines.

there are a few consideration when you spray.... i've just done my gen II and got really nice results.... some of the few points that might help you decide, please bare in mind that the correct AFR is very important and you need the N2O delivered to wherever you want to spray it in a liquid form:

1- CO2 bottles can work (they are rated over 1500 psi) but the valve might be an issue (if you want to upgrade for a bigger shot later on.

2- Solenoid choice is very important, if it leaks it will damage your engine (specially if you decide you want to go for a progressive shot) avoid NX, do your research and you'll find enough people suffered from it.

3- if you dont need braided lines dont use them (running over hot areas, hi nitrous shot, or hot climate... usually braided lines are bigger than the shot required which will cause the N2O to expand into a gaseous form while sitting there and waiting to go to the solenoid,,, you dont want that)

4- you can use nylon pipes but if you do make sure they are away from heat and with any line choice make them as short as possible (of course without breaking or kinking).

here's a good book that helped me build my 30 shot:

Amazon.com: The Nitrous Oxide High Performance Manual (9781904788898): Trevor Langfield: Books

like whats the weak point of a system?

Bottle valves, nitrous solenoid valve seats, and nitrous regulators are all prone to failure. I don't know why bottle valves fail but they just do. I have never had any brand last longer than 2 years. The teflon valve seat in the nitrous solenoids take a serious beating and eventually fail after all the thermal cycling they undergo. Consider buying brands that make rebuild kits. I rebuild mine as preventative maintanence every spring, because failure is BAD and results in expensive motor failure. I don't know if you use a nitrous regulator, but they also need to be rebuilt every year. There is an o-ring in the design that fails almost every year.

Filter during filling and usage will extend to life of NItrous components. I would not they are pronce to failure but maintenence is needed. Steel braided line should be used from the bottle to the solenoid.

Bottle valves, nitrous solenoid valve seats, and nitrous regulators are all prone to failure. I don't know why bottle valves fail but they just do. I have never had any brand last longer than 2 years. The teflon valve seat in the nitrous solenoids take a serious beating and eventually fail after all the thermal cycling they undergo. Consider buying brands that make rebuild kits. I rebuild mine as preventative maintanence every spring, because failure is BAD and results in expensive motor failure. I don't know if you use a nitrous regulator, but they also need to be rebuilt every year. There is an o-ring in the design that fails almost every year.

Also, periodically check the teflon seats for damage that may be seen only with the aid of a magnifying glass. A tiny depression caused by who knows what can result in leakage-you ca guess how I know. A very good reason for ensuring that you use a filter!

Back