NEA.Drew

Registered
Hello all!
I just purchased a new '05 busa a month ago, and really enjoy it alot. However i seem to have pain on both wrist and palms. I know its not built for comfort, but i was wondering if i'm the only one with this problem. I was also wondering if any type of gloves will aid with this? BTW, this board is an awesome source for insight on the busa. Thanks for all who comments....Andrew

Welcome to the board.
You could always get bar risers, different grips, heli bars, Tobin seats.
Also, when riding try to get the weight off of your wrists. Support yourself using you lower back instead of laying on the bars.

Thanks pipefighter. I do like to lay probably to much on the bars, will try to stay off of them. Common sense things are sometimes over looked. Again appreciate it!

No problem.
You can try that method before spending some money on parts.
smile.gif

Others have felt the same and some have been successful by just altering their body position on the bike. Many have gone with the Genmar Risers or Helibars.

Bar risers, softer grips, gel insert gloves, body position.

Also, try changing your hand position when you're not hard-charging.

I found that unconciously I was tending to put most of the pressure on the outside portion of my palms because of letting my elbows stick out. If I tucked in more then the pressure was more evenly distributed across my palms because they lined up better with the grips.

Also, when cruising I sit more upright and vary my grip on the left side by moving my hand back slightly so that I'm supporting the weight on the first jpint of my fingers rather than my palm. You can also take your hand off the left bar and rest your elbow/forearm on the tank when on the straights/highway.

The only relief for your right wrist would be a cruise control that locks the throttle, or one of those "paddles" that lets you hold the throttle open with your palm/wrist so you can relax your grip.

It takes a little time for your muscles to get use to it and you have to learn which muscles to use too. Ride with your toes/balls of your feet on the pegs not your heels. That helps. Squeaze the tank with your knees a little. Use your stomach muscles too. Hold them in/tight. Using your legs, stomach, and postioning of your feet all add to less weight on your wrists/hands. Do some sit-ups and leg work. It all helps. The start of each season lets me know what I need to work on.
smile.gif

Thanks everybody for the useful info! As soon as it quits raining i will be sure to play around with my positioning and see what works. Thanks again...Andrew

Welcome to the board. Don't worry, the comfort will definitely get a lot better. It took me a little bit of time to get used to them as well, but definitely better now and definitely worth it.
smile.gif

Welcome to the board. Squeeze the tank with your knees and use your back and abs to support more weight.
wink.gif

I had the same issues as you. Follow the advice you've been given so far and you'll be just fine. If you're over 6' 2" Look into the Heli-Bars and/or a different seat (Tobin Or Corbin). The Buell peg mod works great too for the longer legged riders.

<!--EDIT|MoosesBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114752685 -->

A little bit of pain is part of the experience of a new busa.. but it should be ok in 3-4 days.. its cos the muscles that are being stressed under accleration and deceleration were probably never used so much

keep riding
biggrin.gif

Back