Newbie Bus owner

cmap

Registered
Help! new busa owner. 1999 10,000 miles all stock. Exactly when should the engine chec lights be on. I noticed that it seem to be on a long time after I hit the kill switch. Cam chain seems a bit grumbly. Quieter when I pull in the clutch. How about tranny grumbling. What kind of noises can I expect. I have been riding 25 years, but took a break from sport biking for 5 years. So just want to know what to expect. Also brake light works when i use the rear brake but not the front brake lever. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The grumbling noise is normal. The Check light will stay on if the enigne kill is on or if your in gear and the kick stand is down. Hope this helps...

sry bro, I cann't help because I'm mechanically challenged. I just wanted to say

Welcome to the madness!!!
smile.gif

I'm sure when the mech types take a look they give you some great advise. There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks on this board that are always eager to help.

Some of the 99s had a problem with the clutch bolts backing off.
It was quieted by pulling the clutch lever in.
Maybe you should pull the clutch cover off and check em?

Thanks for all the help guys! The front brake light problem was the loose connection under the front brake lever. Two words sum up the busa....."DECEPTIVELY FAST". It is soooo smooth that in my two days of ownership I still have not mastered the feel of the speedometer. Every time I feel like I am going the speed limit on the interstate....... I look down at the speedo and BOOM 90mph.

Oh and the best advice I can give you regarding noises. Find Other Busa's and give a listen. Each Busa has it's own version but they are all pretty packed full of "Character". If you compare yours to other Busa's and you hear noises that aren't quite right then maybe have it checked out.

Also be sure that the subframe has been looked at or swapped out and that the Cam-Chain recall ha been performed. You should be good to go otherwise.

Welcome to the board.

Rev

Oh, sources of noise, Your Clutch should be the loudest and changes based on clutch in and out in neutral.  The Valvetrain is pretty clattery but not horribly loud.  The intake makes a weird growl/whoosh noise as you motor through the RPMs as well.  Oh and the Stock pipes will sometimes set up a resonance at certain RPMs/Louds which can be kinda interesting...

Based on Sleepers input just checking the bolts might be a good idea.

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: "Feeeeeerrrrrtttt"|1097881499 -->

Back