New York new fuel mix

Max Speed

Registered
Ok here is my question.... I was reading the paper and it said that in December they are changing the type of unleaded gas sold in New York. I guess there is a chemical that is now in the fuel that is starting to show up in ground water here. I guess they are going to start using alcohol made from corn now to take its place. A fuel mix I'm told like in Calf. How good is this new fuel mix? Will power drop off? Will timing have to be changed in cars and most motors? Will this type of gas draw water into the fuel? How does it run in your Busa if you have to burn this type of gas? How will my Stang big block with 10 1/2 to 1 compression run? I now run a octane additive with premium I wonder what else I will have to add now...
Thanks for your time guys...

allthetoysmustang.jpg

I have read in almost all my maintenance manuals, from car to boat, that you should not leave this type of gas in the tank for extended periods of time. I am not an expert on this but have read it numerous times. maybe someone with knowledge on this can expand on hazards/performance.

I have read numerous articles stating that ethanol enhanced gasoline will not damage your engine in any way and that it burns cleaner than straight gas.

The same is true for bio-diesel, with is partially or completely made from soybeans. In fact there are some studies suggesting that bio-diesel is better for engines.

Here is the catch. Ethanol (corn based alchohol used in gasoline) is more expensive to produce right now than the same amount of gasoline. The price will come down as the economy of scale kicks in and more is produced. But for the time being, you can expect to pay a few more cents at the pump.

The reason I know anything at all about this is that I grow corn and soybeans. Some of which are made into fuels. And this issue actually has a direct impact on my business.

The only issues I have heard with alcohol fuels is they attract water, and they eat rubber.

We have that stuff here in AZ between October & March & the busa drinks it fine.

The only precautions I take are with the 2 strokes as I understand the alcohol chews up the premix. For them I go to Falcoln field and get 100LL for 2.20 a gallon.

<!--EDIT|Mikey D
Reason for Edit: "cause I didn't get it all right the first time!"|1069698702 -->

Thanks guys... I hope I find out the Busa and the Stang like this new gas.. thanks for taking the time to post

allthetoys5.jpg

I never noticed anything different with the ethanol in the gas, you should be ok.

Back