Fuel Stabilization

Kaptain Kanji

Registered
This is related to bikes in a way.
Yesterday I dug out my two old McCulloch chain saws to see if I could get them started. I had a plastic jug of mixed fuel for them that had been sitting along with the saws on a shelf for 18 years. I opened the cap on the fuel and it smelled OK, so I filled the two saws and had a go at starting them. Now at this point I must add that I had dumped the fuel out of both saws when I last used them. Both saws behaved like they always did. The big one started on the 4th pull and stalled. I turned the choke off like always and pulled it again. It started up and ran just fine.!! The small one I had to pull 6 or 7 times, but once it started it ran as good as ever. I ran them both for a several minutes to warm them up and then drained them and put them away.
The point I'm making here is don't worry too much about fuel stabilization if you put
your bike away for the winter. If my chain saw gas was still good after 18 years, I don't think 5 or 6 months is going to make much difference to a tank of gas in your bike.!!
The only recommendation I can make is just fill your tank before winter storage and don't worry about it.!!

Last edited:
Had an edger with Honda engine sitting for 20 years, with Sta-bil, started 1st pull.

Back