New/Used Ride

ArmyBusa08

Registered
I just got done reading about the truck thread/poll... and I've been thinking about getting myself a used car.
This is because my credit score has flatlined, and since I don't have any credit cards I'm thinking about financing a car since I could use a new one anyhow, and at the same time work on my credit. I've got a 97 Town Car in pretty good shape, and she does what I need her to do, and of course I'll have my Busa when I get back home. So, the Town Car covers the family aspect, which is my wife and son. She is also going to get an 01 Eddie Bauer Explorer which is better on gas then her '96 Mustang GT. So, since we've got the space in multiple vehicles I was thinking I could get myself something decent on gas, and fun to drive when I'm in it. Nothing outrageously expensive though. I haven't looked at anything yet since I'm still in the desert, but what do you all think I should get?

Eh, for that matter, should I get a car, or should I try some other tactics to boost my credit score?

Just MOP...
I would not recommend buying another vehicle. There will be no savings vs the paid for still running car you have. As to building your credit lots of other avenues available that won't put you in a pinch. Open a credit card BUT DON'T USE IT! This can help your credit score (based on your credit limit to balance ratio being perfect). But, that takes will power that most don't have. Some other suggestions, would be to start investing the money you would have spent in car payments! These assets will look very nice in your credit profile when you get things turned around. Plus, the extra money will be nice to have in a pinch....

Yup I'm with Bug on this one
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

The main reason I'm looking to get a newer car is because my Town Car has almost 200k on the odometer. It still runs top, but I'm worried about it eventually going out on me and then I'm left with my bike only. I live in Washington, and we don't always have the good riding weather.

I've got good willpower when it comes to credit cards even though I'm 27 and never owned one. I've always been wary of them because of the interest and everything else. I suppose I'll just have to do some more research into everything.

Good luck. Credit is a slippery slope.

My immediate impression is to reduce the number of vehicles you own to as few as possible, and go with something which is very VERY economical. Gas prices are only going to continue to skyrocket.

Can you imagine $7, $8, $9 or $10/gallon? It's not outside rational thinking.

As mentioned previous, good luck.

Back