New to the world of bikes......

I'm 21, get a smaller bike to start on. Not only is it probably too much bike for you, insurance will be INSANE! My 98 Honda CBR900RR is running me $1500 a year, and I have NO infractions on me. Trust me, small bike first.

I don't hate SV's or Katana's but the girls and other guys tend to make fun of them. GSXR's are always 1 of the girls most favorite. I don't know maybe its the name, its kinda fun to say.
bleh.. the only comments i got about the sv I had (which I had while I had a 'busa also) were that it was cool looking... and "DAMN.. YOUR FAST ON THAT THING!"

who gives a damn what chics think... if thats all you got going for ya.. well.. may as well save your money and pay for some hookers instead of wasting it on a bike.

the katana.. yep.. had one of those two... good bikes to learn on.. plenty of speed to scare the hell out of yourself... even though the newest models are ugly as hell.

personally... I could have sold the 'busa and kept the sv650s I had as my only bike and been completely happy... and I've been riding for about 15 yrs now.

another thing... I started street riding at about the same age as you.. maybe a bit younger.. but it was on a NX125... dual sport... and if you like riding.. it won't matter what your on.. you'll ride a 50cc moped if you like riding.. the only people that don't enjoy riding unless it's on something like a 'busa are posers, and wannabe's..

go get a nice used beater of whatever sort you can afford, and you like the looks of... then you'll find out if your a biker or not.

Ok, I'm gunna start doing some more research on some of the bikes you guys mentioned. Does anybody know a good website/forum with bikes for sale from specific areas?(for me I'm looking for a place in minnesota) Carsoup has a horrible motorcycle section, and I have yet to go look at my local dealership.

first of all go window shopping hit all the dealers see what they got find something you like the looks of, check local papers,Thrifty-nickel, then there is always Scambay(ebay), be patient something will bounce your way, motorcycle for sale forum on all bike sites Here, suzukihayabusa.org, labusas, sportbikez.com or net, 12.org, just do some lookin
biggrin.gif

Don't forget that the GSX-R is a sportbike, built for racing. Don't let the displacement number fool you into thinking its an easy bike to ride.

SVs and Katana's and GS 500Fs are all good.

Glad you decided the Hayabusa was a no-no. That's the first step to becoming a non-squid.
tounge.gif

Well, I think I'll drop my wisdom in here, I think even the toned-down 600's are too much to start on. I started on a 250 Ninja, and it's got plenty of power for a beginner. It's also cheap to buy and cheap to insure. Definitely worth a look for your first bike.

As long as wheelies/stoppies/150mph blasts aren't on top of your to-do list, it'll keep you entertained for quite some time, while you develop the skills needed to control a motorcycle.

And definitely take the MSF. That will help no matter what bike you start off on.

Try the 03-05 Yamaha R6's or the new R6, great bikes and they are definetly fast. They teach you the basics, and at the same time are very fast. Never will get bored with one, I know I would on a SV650. Low 11's guaranteed, 10 second quarters are possible with a very skillful rider. Plenty fast and will get you ready for a busa.

Back