New to the world of bikes......

Reaper56441

Registered
Hey, I'm a high school kid, and I've always liked bikes, but never got serious about it until now. I have alittle bit of money stashed away right now, and I'm gunna put away all the money I make over this winter, so I can hopefully make a reasonable payment on a bike next spring. My question is, what should I get, I've mainly just looked at Hayabusas so far, but I don't know what the best year to get is, and what's the most reasonably priced. Thanks for any help

Oh and if this belongs someplace else mods please move it.

Tell us alittle about yourself? The Busa is alot of bike, you will get all kinds of answers as far as Busa Being first bike, It will come off as us jumping on you its not, safety is a big thing on bikes I'll say it first, I do not think its a good beginners bike. Welcome to the board

Can you afford monthly insurance payments that are the same as your bike payments?
rock.gif
???

oh and as far as other bikes if your hell bent on eventually gettin a Busa, the Katana is similar size and weight with enough power without going overkill(like the Busa). the new 600 and 750 sportbikes are fast enough to get you locked up and key thrown away, as far as sinceable the sv 650, gs 500, are good to learn on and not real expensive.

If you are a big guy with a lot of self control the Busa may be alright for your first bike. Like it has been said, insurance is going to be out the roof for you.

Personally I would steer you towards a used SV650. Get as much time in the saddle as you can next year. Take the MSF course. Learn as much as you can about riding and yourself. There is plenty of time to get a Busa.

Tell us alittle about yourself? The Busa is alot of bike, you will get all kinds of answers as far as Busa Being first bike, It will come off as us jumping on you its not, safety is a big thing on bikes I'll say it first, I do not think its a good beginners bike. Welcome to the board
Well about me, I'll be 17 in a few months, work occasionally for my dad but just applied for a steady job, I do have some experience with bikes, but nothing compared to the busa, just my uncle's Harleys, if I should 2nd think getting a busa, what is a good beginners bike especially for someone still in high school?

also check out the newbie stickies. l there is one called "too young for a busa" or similar. Look around there is a lot of good info for newbs

Alright, I just read a bunch of the stickies in the new owner's forum(didn't see it on my first glance, I guess this topic should probably go in there), and obviously I agree that I guess a busa is too much for me to start out with, so I go back to my other question, what else is a good bike to begin with, I started looking at SV650s now but want a few more options. I have a drag strip about 20 miles from my house where they often hold 1/4 mile drag races, and I'm looking forward to doing some stuff there, especially next year when the High School races goes down.

Tell us alittle about yourself?  The Busa is alot of bike,  you will get all kinds of answers as far as Busa Being first bike,  It will come off as us jumping on you its not,  safety is a big thing on bikes   I'll say it first, I do not think its a good beginners bike.  Welcome to the board
Well about me, I'll be 17 in a few months, work occasionally for my dad but just applied for a steady job, I do have some experience with bikes, but nothing compared to the busa, just my uncle's Harleys, if I should 2nd think getting a busa, what is a good beginners bike especially for someone still in high school?
any thing under , lets say two grand , if you wanna go nutz 3500 !
smile.gif
dont get any thing you have to make a payment on ! get somthing nice , but not so nice you have to keep full coverage on it ! keep it simple learn to ride , without worring about a scratch . start on a beater , then when you do get a busa youll appreciate it much more .
beerchug.gif
good luck ! be careful , the judge will not be amused by a 17 year old doin 80 in a 55 and thats first gear on the busa !

16 going on 17, eh? I'm glad to hear you're open to various alternatives, (besides the Hayabusa), that shows a good level maturity. Here's my suggestion. Look closely at the Yamaha XT225. It's a long way from a Busa for sure, but it has 10 good things going for it:

1. It's fun to drive.
2. The insurance is very reasonable.
3. It's excellent on gas.
4. It has an inexpensive purchase price. (~ $4K)
5. It's a good learning platform.
6. It allows you to ride off-road and practice your biking skills in the dirt.
7. It's light and easy to handle.
8. It provides good cheap transportation.
9. If (I mean when) you go down, parts are fairly inexpensive to replace.

... and most importantly...

10. It'll lessen your chance of getting hurt or killed before you develop the skill set you'll need to move on to a more powerful bike. Just like any other skill (math, music, foreign language, etc), it's a whole lot easier if you start at a lower difficultly level, then work your way up.

Young riders (or potential riders) pop up on this forum every month or so, basically asking the same question you did. Heed the warnings you're going to receive here. True, a few have successfully tamed the Busa as their first bike, but most honest riders will tell you, the odds where against them. In your case, not only are you new to biking, but you're new to driving, so you're taking on two major challenges; 1) learning to control the bike, 2) and learning skills to keep others from running over you. (And sometimes #2 is a lot harder than #1!)

Another suggestion. Search this forum for, "Busa as my first bike" (or similar wording), and read, read, read. There's a ton of good information to digest.

To help put your question in perspective; I've been riding since I was 12 years old (started with a Honda 50). Over the years I've ridden lot's of street and motorcross bikes; large and small. At 53 I consider myself to have an average skill level - but most riders with my level of experience will tell you, the Busa's awesome power can easily still scare the holly s### out of a person - and quickly kill them should they decide to disrespect it, or lose their concentration for a few seconds. Although its possible, IMHO, the Busa does not lend itself to beginners.

Nothing wrong with being a fan of a Busa though. Just be smart and work your way up to it. You'll enjoy it a lot more if you you do!
wink.gif
Good luck with your decision and welcome!

get a 600cc, It was the best thing that every happened to me, I learned on what to do and what not to do. I dumped my old 600 3 times on me being a complete @#$ hole. and learned, then when I felt my mind was ready for more power I went for the 1300cc ver.

I don't hate SV's or Katana's but the girls and other guys tend to make fun of them. GSXR's are always 1 of the girls most favorite. I don't know maybe its the name, its kinda fun to say.

GSXR 600 for first bike is my vote, no faster or youll kill your self young padawan
blush.gif

HIGH SCHOOL KID+HAYABUSA=INSURANCE PAYMENTS THAT COST AS MUCH AS AN MSRP OF A NEW HAYABUSA!!!

Think of something a little more reasonable. SV650's are awesome and kick tons of arce!!!! I really like the Kawi ZX-6R but some will think that's a lot of bike too. RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH..

I'll agree with what most have said here already. I'm 32 and have been riding since I was 16. When I bought my Busa two years ago, I thought I was ready for what I was getting, but I'll tell you it scared the hell out of me for awhile. I would DEFINITELY have killed myself with something like this at 17, most likely showing off for my friends. It's good to see you're open to something else.

As for what else to look for, these guys have made some good suggestions, but the question is, how much do you want to spend, and what kind of bike do you want?

Back