New To Hayabusa

Zethicus

Registered
Hello - this is my first post.
6 months ago I purchased a Hayabusa - my first bike I have ever owned, but not certainly the first I've driven.
I've driven manual, semi-manual/automatic, and fully automatic bikes in Thailand - everything from Korean War 'clunkers' to 2001 yamahas, suzukis, and mopeds - where I volunteer every summer working at an AIDS orphangage, transporting hospital supplies to an isolated orphanage, running errands, even using some of the bikes as 'hows' and mechanized farming tools. It's amazing how many uses you can get outta a bike! So yes, I've had much experience riding dirt and asphault flats to mountainous terrain - I've even driven up muddy mountain trails with two 55-gallon full water drums strapped to each side of the bike. Talk about a tear jerker!
I love bikes, crusing along at 140 km/hr along rice patties with the Thai sunset in the distance *drool* - point being I've got the Hayabusa 1300R limited, fully paid for, and I'd like to upgrade it. I've got some friends who race with 1000+ cc engines, and tons of mods, and I'd love ot join in.

I've never upgraded before, where do I start? I'd replace all stock parts with performence parts, but I don't know where to begin... replace the exhaust system first.. or go with the cam and shafts first?

Also, I've got cycle buddies who are opinionated supercharger or turbo supporters - no fence sitters. Which is better a supercharger or turbo? I've heard turbos have 'lag' - but this can be counteracted with a nitrous system. Superchargers have less power for the bike from what I've heard.
I'm looking for power - this is going to be a racing bike, where hopefully I can get into the same league with my friends bikes, and maybe earn some cash making a sleeper bike. Hey who knows!

Although I don't have a full list of upgrades I've spend some time on line and can recognize a few decent brand names - Yoshimura seems like a great all around brand, and I'm no means brand specific.

So here's my list of mods, I'm comfortable riding the bike, I was surprised how much power it has in it! - Stock!

I don't really know how sponsors work, but I'd like to get one. I'm 26, and my father passed away recently and left me a bit of cash. Spending cost isn't really an problem here!

Performance Modifications

Exhaust System:

Yoshimura Titanium Tri-Oval Dual Tip Carbon Fiber Full Race System (Includes Carbon Fiber sleeve and Titanium midpipe and header; Full Exhaust System)
Morepoweracing.com price = $1521.95
Bike should be put on Dyno after installation.

K&N Stock Replacement Filter
(Replaces stock paper air filters)
Morepoweracing.com price = $70.95

Engine:

Yoshimura Stage 1 Camshafts and Sprockets
Morepowerracing.com price = $664.95

Yoshimura EMS

Turbo System:
Hahn Race Craft Hayabusa Turbosystem, Stage I
(Sleeper - Added under the body and not visible on the outside. Doubles horsepower.)
hahnracecraft.com price = $3,695.
Nitrous Oxide System:

03021NOS Turbocharged 750cc + Four Cylinder Direct Port NOS Kit
(Includes tank, instructions, electric fuel pump, nitrous and fuel solenoids, Fogger2â„¢ nozzles, filters, fittings, tubing, fuel pump, distribution blocks or T-fittings, jets, switches, hose, and all other hardware necessary for complete installation. 30 to 40% increase in HP and torque.)
Mpsracing.com price = $644.78
High flow petcocks to compensate with NOS direct port injection are needed to complete installation.

MPS High Flow Petcock 3rd Outlet Upgrade
(Compatible with NOS system).
Mpsracing.com price = $35.00
Bike should be put on Dyno after installation of petcocks and NOS system.

you better sit on that money because every part you posted is NOT what you want.
before you start spend money on 87 grade gas and ride till you fiqure out what you want out of it and what you want the bike to do for you.

Welcome to the board. It would be best to figure out exactly what you want to do with your bike before you just start throwing money at it.
wink.gif

Just ride for a while. You'll figure out what you want to do with the bike, buying a full exhaust only to turn around and go turbo is a waste of money. Just my $.02.

Welcome to the board. Like everyone already said, ride the thing for awhile and you'll "feel" what you want to do to the bike. It's an amazing machine, and you'll come to realize that very quickly.
smile.gif

Ah but I already have a purpose! I use the bike for commuting regularly and had my first stock race this weekend! It was great - I got 4th place of 9 bikes in 3 runs, and got my entry money back! Not bad for a newbie to the racing scene.

Since there is a lack of advice in the reply's I'll ask some basic questions:
1) What to upgrade first? The bike will be used for racing on asphalt/macadam down mostly highways.
2) As far as the turbo system, other threads and people have suggested going with the Ghetto, Velocity, NLR, or the Garrett Turbo kits... Any suggestions? This should probably go in the turbo forum. But I don't mind bringing the thread off topic.
The first thing I should replace is cams and rods correct? And then go with more specialized options such as turbos, exhausts, nitrous, and cosmetic options right?

Are any of these turbos visable under the body?

Thanks!
Zeth

Welcome...Ride learn and save the dreams for a later date.
rock.gif
It's great to know that even the mods are taking this post seriously.
I've been driving since I was sixteen, nearly a decade ago - just because I am a new member does not mean that I am a new driver. I am just new to the upgrading/moding scene. I've checked online for upgrading advice/instruction for turning the busa into a racing machine, but have been outta luck. Most of my friends are too far ahead in the upgrading scene (350 hp +) to be of any use to me.
So how would I go about upgrading the bike?

Zeth

From what I've heard, adding significant upgrades changes the bike's feel to completely different from what it feels like now to ride the bike. Should I slowly upgrade the bike over a year, and learn to adjust after each upgrade, or upgrade replacing stock cam parts, suspension, turbo, and NOS all at once - and learn to ride the bike after its tricked out in a month or two?
Opinions?

Zeth

Well Johnny told yah...Since you can't wait or ain't gonna wait get you butt some boost...Seems like you know what your talking about and know what you want...Don't waste your benjamins on the minor mods...Been there done that...Go all out...Two major turbo providers here Velocity and the Ghetto either would be a top choice...I run a Velocity Stage 1 street capable of 250hp on low boost and about 285hp on high...I never flick it to high...

So...

1. Turbo system your choice, go for a racing kit
2. Extended swingarm, to force all that boost to the ground
3. Anything else your turbo provider suggest

You can get the Ghetto at THEMOTORHEAD.COM or Velocity at SUPERKAOS.COM...

Satisfied???

Stunnah, that was exactly the kind of response I was looking for. This systems of boards is incredible - the sheer amount of information here is awesome, most of the mods/stepbystep instructions aren't even stickied! Talk about a tome of a board.
Thanks.
Zeth

I've got a couple of Harley guys that talk trash about swingarms, that they're for wusses/pansies/squirrelymen...
Is any of this true - does a swingarm really increase Hp and torque %age? I thought it just provided a more cushioning suspension.
Zeth

<!--EDIT|Zethicus
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113423695 -->

Back