New Owner Of A 99 Busa

Womz

Registered
Hey ladies and gents. Just recently picked up a completely stock 1999 Hayabusa with a mere 9600 original miles on it. This is my second bike, after owning a 03 Katana 750 for 5 years, I stumbled upon this beauty.
So far I've put a Voodoo shorty exhaust on it and put new fluids in it.
Currently waiting on the new clutch line as the line on it now is the original 18 year old one and the catch point doesn't like to stay put. She's been taken care of well and once I get the master cylinders and line replaced she'll be quirk free mechanically! The brake lines were already replaced.
The only damage was from a fall on the right side going about 15mph. It was mostly cosmetic, and the one fairing bolt that snapped off I extracted from the frame.

Anybody have any suggestions for things to look out for? I've been so impressed with how great she runs, rides, and looks and haven't noticed anything weird aside from the clutch likes to catch further and further as she heats up and if she's been in the sun too long.
21055912_1746441308984383_4187049552331911905_o.jpg

21016034_1746441292317718_6855792679822221999_o.jpg

Also, eventually I'd like to get her matte black, but I definitely need new fairings, or at least new right side and front wheel plastics. I was thinking about getting an unpainted set off ebay and using that... how's the quality/fit of the ebay plastics?

Womz,
Welcome. If I may, a couple of questions?
Did you receive the tail hump (pillion cover) and grab bar? Also, with the bike having been down, what all has been replaced? There is damage to both sides of the nose fairing and that might mean there is also a tweak to the fairing stay. Issues with the older scoots (original, like yours) may be the ECU, Fuel Pump, Subframe... all are easily searchable here. If the lines are that old, have the tires been replaced? What about the chain?

Ebay fairings can be hit and miss. The saying "you get what you pay for" applies... but some people have had good experiences. Just remember if you go that route, you aren't buying stock, so don't expect stock quality/fit.

Check out Born Again Fairings in Azusa for repairing the OEM fairings. Their site disappeared but they are on Facebook. I have not used them but they had a good magazine write up for repairing the entire set of beat up fairings for a reasonable price.

If you have any high rpm power issues just keep the fuel filter screens in mind. If it sat for long periods it may have gunk in the tank and on the screens. I only bring it up because it seems to be fairly common and owners usually go nuts trying to trouble shoot the issue.

fuel/fuel pump issues, starter issues , corroded tank. regulator/rectifier. What else failed on my 1999?
BB

Womz,
Welcome. If I may, a couple of questions?
Did you receive the tail hump (pillion cover) and grab bar? Also, with the bike having been down, what all has been replaced? There is damage to both sides of the nose fairing and that might mean there is also a tweak to the fairing stay. Issues with the older scoots (original, like yours) may be the ECU, Fuel Pump, Subframe... all are easily searchable here. If the lines are that old, have the tires been replaced? What about the chain?

Ebay fairings can be hit and miss. The saying "you get what you pay for" applies... but some people have had good experiences. Just remember if you go that route, you aren't buying stock, so don't expect stock quality/fit.

Yes, I have the tail hump, although I do not have the grab bar. I didn't even know it was supposed to have one, good to know! I know the one on my Katana was nice for passengers.

The bike only took one drop going slow. The story was that the brake lines got replaced but not properly bled. Regardless, the front brakes got locked up during a slow speed turn. I looked it over and the only damage was to the plastic and a very minor blemish or two on the frame. As for the fairings staying in place, I've had to tweak them (drill right through em!) for the slider bars, as well as the VooDoo exhaust. It melted a little bit of the plastic near it and I used a dremel and spaced it a little more. But overall, they fit nicely. Thanks for the search terms! I just replaced the clutch line and master cylinder today and that fixed the drifting catch point. Looking at the rest of the lines there's age, but I don't see any dry rotting and there's no leaking. I'm pretty sure the bike's been in Hawaii all of it's life and has stayed away from the shore where sand/salt blast is a real thing and rusts anything remotely metal like it gets paid commission. I'm not sure when the chain/tires were replaced, but looking them over, they're definitely relatively new and have plenty of life left in them. No dry cracks, the chain has even tension when I hand spun the wheel.

first things first...dump the voodoo its junk. second gear may become an issue. fuel filter as has been mentioned.

first things first...dump the voodoo its junk. second gear may become an issue. fuel filter as has been mentioned.
Being in Hawaii it was either spend $2000+ (due to shipping/shipping restrictions) for any single side exhaust that I actually wanted, or much less for the Voodoo. I mostly wanted something that was louder than stock... which was pretty much anything. Would there be any options to get a single slip on that utilizes the Voodoo headers? Personally I hate the dual exhaust look and prefer a single right hand one.

Back