New chain for the busa...

Lucky34

Registered
I have to get a new chain for my busa, and I was wondering what you guys would recommend. The guy at the stealership said $175 for a stock chain... but that seems a little on the expensive side for a stock chain... So I was wondering if theres a better than stock chain for around the same price or cheaper... It'd be much appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction. (and if there's a board sponsor that sells em, that'd be great
smile.gif
)
Oh, and one more thing... I'm not sure if I have to replace my sprockets... the front one is still stock and has about 8,000 miles on it, and the rear one only has about 1,000 miles on it... but i heard somewhere that you should replace sprockets when you replace the chain...

(Busaman86 @ Nov. 06 2006,17:21) I have to get a new chain for my busa, and I was wondering what you guys would recommend. The guy at the stealership said $175 for a stock chain... but that seems a little on the expensive side for a stock chain... So I was wondering if theres a better than stock chain for around the same price or cheaper... It'd be much appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction. (and if there's a board sponsor that sells em, that'd be great
smile.gif
)
Oh, and one more thing... I'm not sure if I have to replace my sprockets... the front one is still stock and has about 8,000 miles on it, and the rear one only has about 1,000 miles on it... but i heard somewhere that you should replace sprockets when you replace the chain...
Vman1300, Streetandtrack will do you solid!
wink.gif

I replaced my chain at 15K and needed to replace the front, rear didn't seam like it but at less than $60 for both... can't go wrong. As far as the chain, make sure they aren't trying top sell you the chain kit, which includes the sprockets...

If you don't go stock, there are other options,
ZVX and ZZZ are out there Popular brands are DID and EK - there are others... just be sure to know how many links are in the chain that you arebuying, you may have to cut links off...

(StreetnTrack @ Nov. 06 2006,14:35) Yep, and will be cheaper also.  Let me know if you need one.
^^ Has my reccomendation for New Parts Good service and answerd all my questions very promptly...
smile.gif

Ask MrGxr how long his stock chain lasted! Also, I think CharlesBusa had a chain last a long time . . . .

--Wag--

well   When  comes  to  replacing  new chain  ,  it's always  better to  OR  should  i  say  yes  u  MUST  replace those  sprockets together , as the teeth of the  sprockets curves had  darken out their  tears too . THUS   if  we  only change the  chain itself  we are asking for  more trouble to  come ard.  

always  go in a  set dude ..

My owner of my mom n pop bike repair place says you are wasting your money when you just change the chain.The sprockets are cheap so get them done too. I really dont see why not cuz the chain itself wont last too long if the sprockets are in bad shape and youll spend more money that way.

Thanks for all the info guys... btw, what's the difference between the zzz or the zvx, or those letters between chains?

Also, I'm looking at the street and track site Here and I'm wondering if getting the "race" chain (DID ERV2 520 X120 (DID100)) is a good idea, or if I'm better off going with the EK 530 X 120 ZVX Chain (EK100).

(Busaman86 @ Nov. 06 2006,22:49) Thanks for all the info guys... btw, what's the difference between the zzz or the zvx, or those letters between chains?

Also, I'm looking at the street and track site Here and I'm wondering if getting the "race" chain (DID ERV2 520 X120 (DID100)) is a good idea, or if I'm better off going with the  EK 530 X 120 ZVX Chain (EK100).
The ZZZ is slightly stronger (11000 lb tensile vs 10560) and lighter than the ZVX. The ZVX is still an excellent chain, much better than the stock one. The DRZ is a great chain for the drag strip, but is not sealed. For that reason I don’t recommend it as a street chain. The ZZZ and ZVX use x-rings that have minimal friction loss. S&T has more chains that what is listed on the page you linked. EK has a screw type master link that is pretty cool if you don’t have access to a chain riveting tool. I prefer to stay away from clip type master links although some use them with success. Ask KS-Waterbug how he feels about clip type master links.

How long or how many miles does a chain and sprocket last? I put them on new in Feb. '06 and have 7200 + miles on them. I have a 16/42 chrome steel sprocket w/ zzz sealed chain. Do I need to change now or wait til April (tax money). I plan on riding til end of the month then putting my baby up til April. Can someone give me some insight / input/ best guest/ or their 2 cents.
rock.gif

Back