New 08 addict

danath 34

Registered
Hey guys I have been lurking for a couple months now, but just picked up my new 08 busa yesterday. Unfortunately, I have been riding too much to take any pics, but I got the blue (fastest) one. Its beautiful. This has honestly been my dream bike for 5 years now so yesterday was a great day for me. Naturally, however, it rained on the 2 hour ride home through the mountain roads.

I absolutely love the low end grunt on this machine (thats all I have been able to see so far. I hate break in periods). I really thought the bike would be heavy and cumbersome feeling, but it really feels light and nimble when moving. When stopped, however, that is a whole new ballgame!

Before this I have owned three bikes. I started on a ttr125l dirtbike, then moved up to a DRZ400 dual sport, then acquired a 1982 GPZ1100. I have also ridden countless other bikes. The fastest one before the Busa was a ZRX1100.

And most of you may gasp and even shake a finger at me, but I am 18 years old. I am not an idiot though, I am a very responsible, level headed rider. I definately know how to respect the throttle, and always wear all the gear, so I will be fine on this bike.

I do have some questions, though.

1) When should I do the first oil change? Should I do it at the end of the first 600 miles benchmark?

2) What exactly do they do for the break in maintenance? Do they just change the oil and filters, or will they actually check valve clearance and all of that good stuff?

3) None of my bikes really revved as high as this machine does, what is a good RPM to shift at (once I am done with break in, of course!) both when hauling ass and when cruising?

4) I typically like to cruise in low RPM's, and havent really worried about it with my other bikes, but this is my baby now so it is more prevalent in my mind. Is 3k RPM's too low to be cruising in? I like cruising at 3-4k RPM's; low noise and vibes, but is it lugging the engine too much at this range?

5) I have a steady 'tick' that corresponds with my RPM's (the faster the engine is revving, the faster the tick is). It isnt too loud, it is kind of quiet, but I am still a little worried about it. I bought it brand new. Is this normal, or should I go and slap my dealer?

Thanks for any and all answers guys.

600 miles is the mileage for the first oil and filter change. Also check the chain tension, throttle cable play, tire pressure and as many major bolts for tightness as you can. You'll know when to shift as you ride and the RPM will vary depending upon how hard you're getting on it. 3000 RPM isn't too low for cruising but for a spirited ride a little higher will give more power and quicker throttle response. I've owned a few Suzuki in line fours over the years and the engines are always a little noisy especially in the valve train. The valves aren't usually adjusted until quite a few miles but the owners manual is the best place to find the proper service intervals. Hope this helps. I got the orange and black K8 a few months ago and was told it was the fastest so...... welcome and enjoy the new scoot!
ThumbsUp.gif

cool, thanks alot, I will check those things next time I go to get on it. You dont think it could be anything major like cams or valves?
Im sure I will figure it out as I ride, but I have always ridden more in the lower RPM's and dont want to rev it too high. Where in the range does it make the most power?

First, congrats man, nice scoot.

Second, it really doesn't matter when you shift, I mean, I shift around 5-6k when I'm just cruising, and I try to shift right in the meat of the power band (around 10k) when I'm riding hard, but it doesn't matter, and I can attest that there are some points where you do not want to scream her.

Have fun, be safe.

Welcome. Ride at the rpms you feel comfortable with. Cant wait to see some pics!
beerchug.gif

cool, thanks alot, I will check those things next time I go to get on it. You dont think it could be anything major like cams or valves?
Im sure I will figure it out as I ride, but I have always ridden more in the lower RPM's and dont want to rev it too high. Where in the range does it make the most power?
This bike will pull harder and harder all the way to red line.

Welcome to the org. You will probably notice the chain stretching-thats why you should eyeball it and adjust it at the 600 mile interval. Like they said read your owners manual. I didnt run the piss out of my '08 when I bought it in December, I just followed the general guidelines. Makesure yours doesnt fall under the recall numbers. Probably doesnt. New tires can be slippery in the cold and wet, we had some new bikes down due to low speed slips and falls. You will notice extended mirror mounts and my new no cut sliders. I also have a 3/4" Genmar spacer to lift up bars.

005_5.jpg

congrats on the bike bro... best thing you can do is read through the owner's manual, and when you are done, read through it again... pretty much follow what it says to do, pick up 1000 or so helpful tips from the guys on the oRg here, and you and your girl will be fine
thumb_up.gif

Back