NEED WEB HELP!

Thinker62

Donating Member
Registered
Is there anyone willing to build a website for my riding club. We can pay, but have very limited funds.

We need help from A to Z.
<ul>We have a domain name picked out that doesn't appear to be used.
We need to understand where to house the site.
Once a website is built, how do we support it or make changes? Do we have to have a maintenance agreement as well?[/list]
Who can help a brotha out?

thinker, you need to find a host once you have secured the domain, come up with some ideas of functionality, the look and feel, mission, and features of the website, perhaps sketch out a storyboard of the look and design, how you wish to navigate the site, type of links etc, where you want them to go, and possibly a homepage "theme" for the site, once you have these ideas secured wherever you choose to have the site hosted can help you out with the "building" stage, for a small fee they'll prolly build it for you, couple hunnerd for something simple, then you can add to it along the way.

hosting is fee's are typically based on "size"(megabytes)of website, and amount of traffic.

you can acces the website via administrative privlidges(password)that is usually located on the admin access page, that address is typically only known to the admin(owner"s")for security reasons, you can access tools, arrange permissions, security features, look and feel etc....

there are "boxed" websites available too, kinda like this website, a database structure provided by Ikonboard, UBB makes them too, you might want to know some pph, sql, java and whatnot to admin this type of site.
obvious theres more toit than that, like does the host support the scripts you want to run? I would think you could do a pretty good job with just a CGI bin and some java support for a simple website, you will need SQL or some form of database support for a bullitin board though.

first you must get an idea of what you want, what you want it to look like, and what you want to do with the website...

search "website building" "creating a website" "website building tools" "website hosting" "web hosts"

Thinker the first thing you need to do is register the domain name that you want, then determine what you want to do with the site. if you are just looking for a place to put board meetings and information then you wont need CGI or Java just plain ole html, if you want a message board and you think that you will have less than 50k for awhile you can set boards up using a flat file and you wont even need sql, just cgi or php.... I dont know of a host out there that doesnt support both. Let me know what you want to do and I will help point you in the direction. Twisted is correct that most host charge by how much hard drive space you use and how much traffic you pass on the network. Read the fine print, sometimes the deals that are too good to be true have some small hidden print that can really cost you a lot in the long run.

CGI, Java, Sql, etc is totally a foreign language to me.

I have a pretty good idea of what I want, but that is where it ends. We do not need a discussion board.

Basically, I want a site that will contain the following:

1. Home
2. History & Mission of the Club
3. Membership requirements
4. Profiles and Pictures of the members
5. Calendar
6. News & Events
7. Photo Gallery
8. Links
9. Guestbook

Here are a few club sites I like.
Lady Sport Riders
Wild Bunch
Black Tigers
Full Throttle

Updates will primarily be pictures and calendar stuff. So what am I talking about? What size site? How expensive?

Greg

I am soooo outta my league here. I thought I could help, but it turns out I can only watch. Best of luck, Thinker!

I would take a class on this crap, but don't have the time, and we want to get a site up soon.

Thinker,
Try Verisign.com
You can update, post pictures or anything else.
It is cheap and easy. I built my website on my own and I'm a computer idiot. Look, I can,t even post the link
sad.gif
 got to my website and check it out. www.stonyhillgolf.com. Let me know if I can help.

sounds like you want a simple website, with the exception of the flash intro, should be pretty simple and inexpensive, get the domain name secured, then look for someone to host around a 10 meg website with the ability to expand a photo gallery, 1 gig will prolly do for a long time?

you need someone that knows flash well to help you design the flash intro, do you have an idea for the intro page? what you want flash to do?

my internet carrier gives me seven email accounts, website hosting stuff (never looked,not interested) .

Twisted/Cap would something like that be enuff ?

Enuff space an' crap ?

Does yer provider offer anything G-man ?

I guess thats what I'm suggesting .

hav a good 1.....RSD.

My friend builds websites, he lives right off Sunnyside RD. He could use the cash, ill throw it out to him.

My friend builds websites, he lives right off Sunnyside RD. He could use the cash, ill throw it out to him.
I would listen to his proposal, but I think I have a path going forward. Just waiting for approval from the club.

As usual, I found what I needed at Hayabusa.org.

Thanks, Cap!

Back