Need info on engine mods for boost.

mimic

Registered
Hi guys,
I posted this in the supercharger section as the application is for a supercharger but I know a lot more ppl have turbos and engine wise, I suspect it's the same so here's my post.

I stopped riding in 2008 when I sold my 1397/ It made 200RWHP and I found it wasn't the violent, outta control machine I was hoping for. I told myself the next one had to be boosted. I was thinking of going turbo but after some careful thought, I realized that I REALLY want that down low stop sign to stop sign, tire breaking lose power. I am seriously considering building a gen1 busa with a stage 2 tts kit.

I would like to know what engine work is required? Base gasket? head studs? cams? valve springs? retainers? clutch springs? etc. I wanna build it once and build it right. I wanna make between 280 and 300 RWHP reliably. Any help would be appreciated. I'm probably gonna throw on a yoshimura 4 into 1 and PC5.

Thanks in advance

I would build it like a turbo motor, tried and true to handle boosted power. Spacer, good rods and pistons, better valve springs and retainers, probably get away with stock cams at that horsepower level. That would also be the best time to get a HD output shaft and have the trans prepped.

My advice is to send your motor to Steve Knecum with an explanation of what you are wanting to do and write him a check when he is done. You won't regret it.

Rods? I thought the stock ones were good up to 350hp?

Also if I install a spacer, do I need to change the pistons? I thought adding the spacer was to drop compression. Am I supposed to add the spacer and then get stock compression forged pistons? or forget the spacer and get lower compression turbo pistons?

Again, 300 is the max HP I wanna make.

u dont need rods at that horsepower but ull want more power sooner then later so u might as well do pistons and rods in one shot. why dont you call Richard at RCC and explain to him what ur goals are and im sure he can guide in the direction you want to go. no need to send ur bike or motor to the states when you have RCC in Canada.

guys go mid to high 7's with stock cams, valves and heads. not needed. ur gonna wanna lose that yosh pipe tho. RCC makes a stock like exhaust if ur lookn for that stealth look.

I haven't installed the exhaust on the bike. It's just something I have lying around in the garage.

I'll get in touch with Richard and see what he says.

Thanks

Might as well post up that exhaust on here or ebay and sell it so you can put that money towards your build :beerchug:

I have a buddy locally who wanted it but he's not sure. If he doesn't take it, it will be up for sale here like all my other parts lol

I ran mine to just over 300hp on stock rods and pistons, but I'm not sure I would recomend that for very long. If you have the motor apart, why not take care of them then. Power is addictave and sooner or later you will want eleventy billion horsey powaz!! Might as well build it now.

From your sig, I assume you used it for drag racing application? i just want 300hp to boot around on lol

Mine is a street/strip application. The pic in the sig is with the bike stock.

It looks like this now:

Besse1_zps56e849f8.jpg

Besse1_zps56e849f8.jpg

I opened that bike up plenty and never had it melt. I even had it at bike week sitting in traffic and it didn't melt either.

Mine is a street/strip application. The pic in the sig is with the bike stock.

It looks like this now:

Looks very similar to what I want to build. Black on black, stretched and slammed. I built one over the winter that I was going to supercharge but it got sold before I had a chance to ride it. Here's what it looked like.

Besse1_zps56e849f8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I opened that bike up plenty and never had it melt. I even had it at bike week sitting in traffic and it didn't melt either.

Yes,...boosted is a little different. If you are running non-intercooled and do a lot of long pulls you are asking for trouble. Better to build it right the first time and have a little more peace of mind. Not to mention after a while you'll get tired of 300hp so you'll want to turn it up. Who are you using to tune it when it's complete?

Yes,...boosted is a little different. If you are running non-intercooled and do a lot of long pulls you are asking for trouble. Better to build it right the first time and have a little more peace of mind. Not to mention after a while you'll get tired of 300hp so you'll want to turn it up. Who are you using to tune it when it's complete?

I'm planning on supercharging a stock bore motor NOT a 1397.

As for tuning, I assume TTS supplies a base map. Like my old1397, I'll get an A/F computer with an o2 sensor that attaches to the centerpipe( back then I used an LM-1) and have my buddy Quasar fine tune it with the data logs I send him.

Back