need help with suspension drag race setup

OB_accoleman

Registered
gsxr1117, thanks for the help. Most of that I already knew but I truly appreciate your response. I'll go to the track thur. night and I'll post the #'s Fri. From my past couple of bikes, my #'s are very close to yours. Thanks for your response.

Please help fellow owners. I street race my busa and I'm having a hard time launching off the line. The clutch is not the problem. As soon as I try to put pwr to the ground I start to spin badly. Dunlop 207zr with 23lbs of pressure and I'm tied down in front. I understand that I have enough mph to ease off the line and catch most bikes on the big end. But, where I live we are serious about our racing and If you come across a good rider with a good setup, it is possible they can get out there so far that there is no catching up in the 1/4 mile. How do I stop spinning? If I install a dogbone and lower the rear end will that help? I'm a slightly better than average rider and I'm no rookie at the dragrace game, but, I'm humble enough to know when I need some help. can't wait to hear some of your reply's. Brock, Keith, Rickey, Michael, hope you're listning.

Hey accoleman, wish I could be some help to your problem with tire spinning but probably not. I have been dragging for about 10 years now and have my own opinions but it sounds as if you need some "professional" help. sorry, my input is this however, in my experience, lowering the bike usually only really helps with wheelies as it just lowers the center of gravity. On the same note if by lowering it you can get a little more weight to transfer rearward this will help providing it does not provide a wheelie problem. Also, use a race compound rubber, although it needs to be heated with some spinning before you race the end result is a tire with better traction. as for air pressure, I have been known to go as low as 15lbs in mine depending on conditions. You may also want to bear in mind you are on a bike with 100ft. lbs of torque which is going to spin fairly easily. I have a friend with an older GS1100 that runs high 9's and he uses a 140 series rear and gets it out to 60' in the 1.5 sec bracket. granted he is lowered and lengthened my point is the tire bites(race compound). Just so you know I am not a NOB I have a 94 GSX-R1100 that all stock(123 RWHP) has gone 10.48@130 and I consistenly turn 60'times in the 1.70 bracket with a best of 1.67, some 68's and some 69's. A bad 60' time for me is 1.73!! Have you ever actuallly taken your busa down the 1/4 and if so Iwould love to see your time to include all foot times(60, 330,660,1000 adn 1320). If you don't want to post them on here you can email them to me. Thanks. Just to be fair, here are mine(1.70, 4.47, 6.76@107.33, 8.76, 10.48@130.83). Looking forward to hearing from you!
Randy

If you're really into drag racing get the clutch mod done so you can slip the clutch. Once on the line slip the clutch to keep the tire from spining, it can be hard as hell on the clutch but if you get it right you'll swear you where flying. lol Good luck.
Jim
P.S. Not a drag racer myself (I like the curvy stuff) but have dabbled with drag racing a little out in the country.

Back