Need help...diode? resistor? .....or?

RideLikeTheWind

Registered
I was hoping that someone can help me....I've got a 2005 Busa with  converted LED undertail.......I tapped into the brake/tail light wire, ran a wire to the aftermarket license plate, attached a a tailight housing with an 1157 brake/tail light.  It works fine.  No problem there.
 Ok then,
I bought one of those 1157 LED rotating brake lights bulbs(rotates as a taillight, blinks intermittenly as a brake light) online for extra night noticeability.  Replaced the standard 1157 bulb with the rotating light.  Start up the bike, it works fine for about 5 minutes, then it goes completely dim.   Does it need a diode?  Or resistor?  Any idea's?

You can go to your local autozone and get a ballast resistor block to work with these as they have a different current requirement. Can't remember the cost but they should be there next to the bulbs.
beerchug.gif

a diode is a one way valve for electricity, the resister adds more load to the circuit.. I doubt either is going to fix your problem...

You say the lights go dim? I would look closely at your connections and see if perhaps one is not very good. Also does the problem affect all the lights? A voltmeter would be helpful at this point..

If the problem is only one bulb, swap bulbs around see if issue follows the bulb
If it is all the lights, likely a bad ground (string a new temporary ground wire to test)

most of the ballast resistors I am familiar with are actually for dash panels. They keep help to calibrate the analog gauges into accurate ranges.. They are a bi-metal spring type of resistor (sort of like a mini turn signal flasher)

I guess I can try it and see if it works....The standard
1157 brake/tail light works fine....it's the fancy rotating brake/tail light that is giving me the problem

you could install that bulb in a car or another bike... bet it does the same thing

So...the prognosis is not looking good.....I guess I fell for the online ad stating "no tools needed, just plug in"....oh well

could just be a defective bulb... try it on another vehicle and if it does the same thing, get it replaced...

with the LED bulbs they do not draw the right load as a conventional bulb thats why they sell the resistor because it can cause your signals to flash to quickly or overload the LED as they are normally rated for like 1 to 5 volts, but as Bogus stated you might check the ground or swap the bulb to another vehicle to see if the problem is the bulb.

Thanks gixxer418 and My Bogus.....I tried the bulb in my car and it didn't work...didn't think about that before...that's why I got online here....I just ordered another new bulb...hopefully it will work....if not,  I'll just leave the standard bulb

Back